1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journal Register Company jobs in general (NOT the Trentonian)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lapdog, Jun 3, 2007.

1. lapdog

lapdog Member

Just general information for anyone considering applying at ANY Journal Register Company newspaper:

Thursday and Friday, JRC eliminated dozens of jobs chainwide.

Among the layoffs at two papers included:

1. Four employees who had accepted positions less than 10 months ago, quitting secure jobs, and in two cases, moving interstate at their own expense.

2. A pregnant mother. Health care terminates in 30 days. Then, she can go on COBRA, for $400 a month.

3. An employee planning to retire in the fall, when he would have reached 50 years service at the paper.

4. Three other 10+ year veterans.

Severance? They'll get their last paychecks, if they're lucky.

Be aware if you interview at ANY JRC paper, anywhere, that the job in all likelihood does not exist, and if you accept the position, there is every likelihood you will be terminated within a year, with no more severance than the loose change in your pocket.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Do not work for the JRC. Ever.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i, for one, have been wondering how long it would take for JRC threads to start appearing on this board. i think JRC fucks many people in our industry. i don't know why we wouldn't discuss those fucking low lifes.

4. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

This thread needs an appearance from Bob or Lee.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

This thread does NOT need an appearance from either of those two.

This thread does NOT need to break down into ripping certain employees at a JRC paper in NJ.

This thread DOES need to stay on the topic of JRC advertising then eliminating jobs and/or the work conditions at JRC papers.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

There is absolutely no problem with a JRC thread as long as everyone sticks to the issues addressed at the top.

Certainly, the information posted by lapdog is relevant to anyone interested in the business. Carry on.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

estreet: i'm the first to say we need jrc threads on this board. and while i tend to lean to the side that the trenton SE is a pure dick, i also fully support the bolded section above.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

FWIW, I know I've looked at papers in the Northeast, been mildly intrigued, then said to myself, "Wait a minute. Is that a JRC paper?"

For those, therefore, who don't know, here's the link to all their papers. Best I can tell, there's no comprehensive list, but they're at least broken down by region. If it helps someone avoid JRC, then bueno.

http://www.journalregister.com/newspapers.html

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

when people stop applying to work for these assholes, these assholes will fail to exist.

10. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Started my career at a jrc paper. Never again. I did good work, but the treatment is awful. Some of the worst daily newspapers in the country are JRC owned.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i had a very good friend do them right, they did him very wrong. he's doing well now, but i still hate these fucksticks.

this guy is quality. worked with him for three years to know as much.

12. lapdog

lapdog Member

Past and present JRC victims: Let 'em have it.

www.jobvent.com

Draft saved Draft deleted