1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journal Register Co. has been sold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Jul 14, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, I know Journal Register has been alternately a disaster and a joke over the past few years, but ultimately, the fact that somebody as respected as Jim Brady is working with them on digital has to count for something.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Newspapers have historically been bought by people who want to make a fistful of cash. Think Gannett and many others.

Alden Global has already invested a lot of money in Media News and Freedom and a couple of other newspapers bankruptcies. They are believed to be the power who forced Dean Singleton upstairs.

From what I read PRC is considered the industry leader in monetizing on-line content, which given the current state of the newspaper industry, is admittedly like winning the prize as tallest jockey.

What Alden Global seems to think (I have never seen an interview) is that they can buy newspapers cheap, milk the cash and profitably convert them to on-line. And I would not be surprised to see Paton wind up with a bigger role at all their properties.

And I think there is money to be made aniline. Google sure as hell does. I just think that the the current management of the newspaper industry does not have a clue how to present an effective advertising product on-line. A guy like Craig Dubow is like a stagecoach driver in a jumbo jet. He just does not have the skill set needed. And while I pick on Gannett I think most other chains are in the same boat.

3. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

No. Still use most of the software from before the Ben Franklin Project. They do not regularly use any of the free tools they used for the project.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

The point of the Ben Franklin Project was to force software vendors to lower their prices with the threat of using the free programs. Not sure if the prices were lowered, though - management never said a word about it.

5. lapdog

lapdog Member

The Ben Franklin Project lasted one (1) day. People were drilled and trained for three months.

I heard all the papers did get out -- but just barely.

And they all looked like shit (not that that was a major consideration).

6. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

So is brave-soul Nick Zbiciak still drawing a paycheck?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wow, I guess we have to give Gannett some credit then. Their stupid initiatives usually last 6 months.

Draft saved Draft deleted