1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journal Register Co. files for bankruptcy - again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Sep 5, 2012.

1. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I worked at one of the papers being discussed, and it was a nightmare. Turnover like crazy and the people downstairs had no idea what the idiot in the corner office upstairs was doing. Most poorly-run paper I have ever seen, and it comes as no surprise at all this place was not turning a profit.

This is sad news, but not expected at all.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nothing can end well when your newspaper company is owned by a hedge fund.

3. Well, they'd blow any chance to be hired on by the new owners.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A bunch of them won't be hired on anyways.

And then the new owners would have to start from scratch, which would take some time. Meanwhile, no papers would be produced and nothing would be posted on the websites.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Just awful news. I have friends and former co-workers at one of the papers being discussed and my heart goes out to them. So many good people and they're turning out a good product.

Bastards...

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Everyone at my JRC shop got the letter at home two days ago. While it is standard operating procedure in a situation like this, it's still disconcerting.

In our staff meeting yesterday, our editor said that they won't be cutting our property (three papers in one office) because we're the biggest JRC money-maker in the state.

I bit my tongue. Our most recent cut came about two months ago when we lost my paper's editor and sports editor in a salary dump. Our sports editor is now a freelancer and our editor was going to retire anyways. Still, he should have been allowed to walk out on his own terms.

Bastards.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That really sucks.

8. WolvEagle

Oh, and the geniuses running our company sent one of the notices to an employee whose final day was three weeks ago. A talented journalist in his 20s, he took a job outside the biz. He had been at one of the papers in the next county.

His mom, who works in our shop, told us about him getting the notice.

9. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Jeff Sudbrook, who was "unavailable for comment," was probably somewhere down south working on his golf game. What a total POS that guy is. If you have ever worked for him I know you agree with me.

10. WolvEagle

More on the notices - pretty much a repeat of the Cleveland info, but in Michigan: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130221/BIZ/302210433/1361/Journal-Register-could-shed-840-jobs-in-Michigan

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Someone's pockets are lined with many more digital dimes.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Dean Singleton just came in his pants and knows exactly why.

Draft saved Draft deleted