1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joss Whedon's greatest hits

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Rolling Stone went through the career of Joss Whedon, man of the hour, and ranked everything he's done It's a slideshow (found here: http://rol.st/VbA5l5), but I wrote them all out so you don't have to click through:

A few thoughts:

1. Joss Whedon is a genius.
    2. Firefly and Serenity are way, way too low. I would bump them up to the top seven.
    3. I didn't like the Buffy comics nearly as much as this list-maker.
    4. I don't think The Cabin in the Woods should be ahead of The Avengers. I can't imagine a better Avengers movie than Whedon's.
    5. Buffy Season 6 is better, though much darker, than Buffy Season 4.
    6. Almost everything on this list is on Netflix Instant.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

1, I agree that Firefly/Serenity should be higher.
    2, Cabin in the Woods is damned near perfect in what it sets out to do. Avengers, which I loved, is hurt a little bit by the rather generic battle sequence at the end. Maybe he would have better off with a bit less CGI and a few more demented practical effects, as in Cabin.
    3, Where is his episode of "Glee"? Safety dance!

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd put his Zombies for Romney video No. 1.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Here's my rankings:

1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 3
    2. Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
    3. Buffy, Season 5
    4. The Avengers
    5. Firefly
    6. The Cabin in the Woods
    7. Astonishing X-Men (comics)
    8. Serenity
    9. Buffy, Season 2
    10. Angel, Season 3
    11. Buffy, Season 6
    12. Angel, Season 5
    13. Angel, Season 4
    14. Buffy, Season 4
    15. Dollhouse, Season 2
    16. Angel, Season 2
    17. Buffy, Season 7
    18. Angel, Season 1
    19. Dollhouse, Season 1
    20. Buffy, Season 8 (comics)
    21. Buffy, Season 1
    22. Buffy, the movie

I haven't read Runaways. I'm not inclined to, either.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

CGI is a weakness of Whedon's. See the Season 3 and Season 7 finales for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The out-in-space scenes in Firefly and Serenity were always a little gimmicky, too.

That said, I think Avengers was much more ambitious than The Cabin in the Woods, which was an outstanding horror movie but ultimately a horror movie.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The simple fact that he was able to pull off everything he did in Avengers, with such a large cast and pulling so many different pieces into something not just coherent but fun, ought to rocket that project over a smaller film like Cabin in the Woods (which was also great).
    The difference between those two movies is like going from juggling one tennis ball to juggling three running chainsaws, a flaming torch and a live hand grenade.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The totality of Whedon things I've apparently see consist of Firefly, Serenity and Dr. Horrible. I just wanted to thank you for making DHSAB No. 2. I'm an unabashed Nathan Fillion fangirl, but I loved that.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

A Dr. Horrible sequel supposedly is in the works to be made this summer. Whedon says he's already written several songs.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You have literally just made my Saturday, and today also included getting a pair of shoes and a pair of boots for a total of about 50 percent off. So that's high praise!

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Why is everything he does titled Butterfly, Buffy, Angel, Serenity, Dollhouse...

What's next, the Cupcake Chronicles?

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This post does not make sense.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

But that poster not making sense makes perfect sense.

As for this list, I've only seen Avengers. I don't think I'm the Whedon type.

Draft saved Draft deleted