1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josina Anderson & Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Aug 27, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Really odd statement.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Didn't say anything.

Did not know previously that she majored in gym class as an athlete at North Carolina -- if she followed the normal athlete course of study there, it would explain a lot.

Still have not seen a list of women she would agree to shower with.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sam cut. He can thank Anderson for his fate. She made The Rams realize
    That the circus would never end

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Terrible. Should have just stayed quiet than put that meaningless statement out.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe if Anderson wasn't lazy on this ascpect and ESPN actually reported news they would have investigated whether any of his former teammates after 4 years of showering in high school and 4 years of showering in college, with a gay teammate, had any problems.

Sam has been gay his entire life, so why would he develop a 'shower' problem now? He's been showering with other young athletic men since he hit puberty.

Maybe Stephen A Smith has an interesting take, like "the shower deserved it"

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Honest question that I'd be asking Sam right now: Do you regret coming out when you did? Do you think you could have made a greater impact if you had not come out, gotten drafted higher, made a team and THEN come out?

I always found the timing rather odd. If I were going to a job interview, I don't think I'd be so cocky as to assume they'd overlook something in my background that ran so blatantly against the existing culture. If you want to effect change rapidly, the place to do it is from inside a culture or organization, not from the outside.

I hope he catches on somewhere, and given the need for pass rushers, I suspect he will. This Rams front seven was a tough rotation to break into.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not so sure. I always thought the timing was such that he wanted to get it out there before it came out in the draft process. I think he wanted it to get out on his terms and also to avoid looking like he was trying to hide it.

Quote fail!

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm shocked:

Draft saved Draft deleted