1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Peter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jakewriter82, Apr 11, 2007.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was interesting... long, but interesting.

3. gospringboks

gospringboks Member

He was the stud at the Times-Picayune -- one of the most underappreciated sports sections in the country -- for a long time.

4. Mike Knobler

Mike Knobler New Member

It is not just you. Josh has been doing excellent work for years. You might not have seen it when it was being published in the Times-Picayune, but (as the South African rugby fan who just posted says) he was cranking out great stuff there from the late 1990s on. (And before that, IIRC, he was doing the same for The Commercial Appeal.) The guy gets a lot of good stories others don't, and even when the topic isn't special his approach to it and his reporting and writing usually are.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Josh Peter prepares for work in the morning.

[​IMG]

6. J.P. is an awesome reporter. He did some great work at the vastly underrated Times-Picayune sports section. Check out his series on stickball if it's out there anywhere.

7. gospringboks

gospringboks Member

You get some serious credit for knowing who the Boks are. Not too many people here do.

8. I maintain that the moment when Mandela put on the 'Boks jersey and the stadium erupted is the most thrilling thing I've ever seen in sports.
    Seriously.
    Has YouTube got it?

9. gospringboks

gospringboks Member

Not sure, but what's overlooked is that he also gave a quick pep speech -- with parts in Afrikaans. Can't tell you how many people have told me that that did more for reconciliation than anything else.

Of course, winning the World Cup in front of a packed house at Ellis Park is just gravy...

10. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

Boring agreement on all counts. The story was well-reported. Internet stories do tend to run to lengths that print editors would never agree to. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not. I didn't think this was oppressive. Peter is awfully good. Consistently The T-P sports section is top-notch.

But I don't think he included my favorite sign along Washington on the way into Augusta: "We need stinking badges!"

There are a lot of guys doing great work for the dot-coms, my problem is that I need to be more discipined in checking the sites out. I'm hit and miss with too many of them.

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Damn it, EC...You disrupted a perfectly good South African rugby-jack.

(I kid.)

Draft saved Draft deleted