1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hancock family to sue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Rules of Golf, May 24, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hancock was drunk AND talking on the phone.

If he'd been sober and on the phone, he likely wouldn't have hit a big ass tow truck with flashing lights. Hell, if he'd been drunk and not on the phone, he might not have hit it.

Josh Hancock's death is Josh Hancock's fault. Certainly not the fault of the poor guy whose car broke down, nor the tow truck driver.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Damn that Mike Shannon for putting a pistol to Hancock's head and making him get drunk and then forcing him into driving to a different bar.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'm inclined to agree here, and it takes some gigantic fuckin nuts to sue the tow truck/disabled vehicle. Christ. What's the tow truck supposed to do? Push the vehicle across four lanes of oncoming traffic?

If the tow truck and vehicle driver had any nerve, they'd sue the Hancock family for the destruction of their vehicles. In fact, I'm surprised they haven't all ready.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I know a great deal more about the circumstances behind this lawsuit than most of you, and no, I don't intend to get into all of that here.

But at some point, when some of you quit talking out of your asses and go back to a fact that emerged after Hancock's death – not about his death, but that his biological mother is not the woman who is now married to Dean Hancock – then perhaps you'll better understand the circumstances and true intentions of this legal filing.

The bottom line can, I think, be read between the lines of this last graf from the AP story:
    As administrator of his son’s estate, Dean Hancock said he has an obligation to represent the family on all issues, “including any legal actions necessary against those who contributed to the untimely and unnecessary death.”

I supect this whole thing will eventually go away quietly, and you'll have to ponder the possibility that it was Dean Hancock's intention, by filing, to ultimately guarantee that.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Perhaps they weren't suing out of some human sympathy for Hancock and the family. I'm guessing that might change as a result of this--gloves are off now.

And Henry, by filing this action, it has the exact opposite effect of making the thing go away quietly.

7. HejiraHenry

That was my first thought yesterday. Then I bore down a little harder on the situation.

And that's when it occured to me – it all depends on who does the filing, now doesn't it?

8. Inky_Wretch

Maybe I'm reading between the wrong lines, but are you implying the father filed this suit so the biological mother couldn't?

9. If the late Josh Hancock does not know what is right and wrong about drinking and driving, it's his problem not the restaurant's problem. He is old enough to know these things. I mean there are ads on TV about drinking and driving endlessly and there are stories about people dying with drinking and driving everyday in recent years.

10. HejiraHenry

That's my take on it, yes.

11. HejiraHenry

Dram shop law. Look it up.

12. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Don't those laws usually cover the person injured by a drunk driver, rather than the drunk himself?

Draft saved Draft deleted