1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hancock family to sue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Rules of Golf, May 24, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think it's fair to say that the Hancock family accomplished what they set out to do. And they came under a great deal of unwarranted and ignorant public criticism in the process.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Henry, what did the family "set out to do"?

Embarrass a potential loose-cannon ex-wife and prevent her from making a scene?

I'm seeing so many things between the lines here, but clear them up for those of us who are, admittedly, ignorant.

3. HejiraHenry

I do think Hancock's father wanted to gain the upper hand in any potential litigation, yes.

I can imagine that the biological mother could have sued everyone in sight -- and that would have included the Cardinals and A-B. And, with nothing really to lose, she could have pushed the thing as far as she wanted.

But the lawsuit triggered, as I understand it, a reopening of the investigation into the night Hancock died. And, in the process, it seems to me the family probably learned that Josh was as responsible as anyone else -- more so, really -- for being in that place at that time in that condition.

As somebody who knows him told me, "it was just Josh being Josh."

Every other night to that point, it didn't end badly. That night, it did.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thanks, Henry. Wasn't trying to rip, just trying to kind of get out there where we all were wrong.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I say this in all seriousness, Henry, not as trying to be combative or snippy.
    At some point, if the family wants us all to not think they are being greedy, etc. they need to get out the info that will change our minds.
    Why do we not know about this later investigation?

6. In all seriousness, I hope this whole thing goes away forever.

7. HejiraHenry

Well, in point of fact I think it was reported by the Post-Dispatch and picked up by AP. It wasn't some big earth-shattering new deal, just an effort to talk to some witnesses who had eluded the local authorities initially.

And, yes, I wondered if the death of Mike Shannon's wife had any bearing on the timing of the thing and I'm not sure we asked about that explicitly.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Seeing as how the information behind the suit wasn't public, how can you blame the press for criticizing the family. From the outside it looked like a pretty slimy move. If the family didn't make their intentions clear, why would anyone think there was more to it? You apparently had some sort of inside info... most did not. I don't think you can blame people based on the information available to them.

9. I hope that part of the reason they dropped the lawsuit was because Shannon's wife died. Maybe they figured he's got enough to deal with besides a bullshit lawsuit.

10. HejiraHenry

It's the sports radio, Cold Pizza, talk-out-your-ass and shout at the top of your lungs way of doing things. It's one way of doing business, I guess.

I don't think it took any inside info, just a spot of gumption, to avoid ripping the family under the circumstances. That is, of course, sadly lacking everywhere ... not just in the SJ world.

11. I'm guessing the poor slob whose car broke down and the tow truck driver feel for the Hancock family coming under unwarranted and ignorant public criticism.

Hope the Hancock family paid for their legal fees.

Draft saved Draft deleted