1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hancock family to sue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Rules of Golf, May 24, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Agreed, but they want Josh to be a martyr.
    He was forced to drink, the truck and car were in the way.
    You think at some point in a press conference, those lawyers wouldn't point to articles like this and say, see, the media is trying to destroy Josh's reputation.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I wrote a column one time about a local driver winning a race on the night after the funeral of his nephew, who was shot to death a few days earlier.

Right before the trial, the murderer's attorney wanted a change of venue for the trial, and used my column in his argument, saying I had "inflamed" the community. Judge pretty much tossed that argument out in a few seconds.

Back to the thread, here's my problem: The tow truck driver and driver of the stalled car are now going to have to cough up legal fees for this. That's one of the ridiculous things about this lawsuit.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Can they countersue?

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I would. Can't the towing company sue for having their truck damaged? I'm sure the stalled vehicle was banged up too. If nothing else, they should sue just to sue.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wouldn't the insurance companies cover the court costs here? Ultimately it'll be Hancock's insurer who will have to pay, since he's the one who's at fault.

6. boots

boots New Member

First off, if Hancock was liqored and jointed up, a few of the lawsuits will be thrown out. Also, is his father going to sue the guy/gal who sold him the whacky weed? I don't think so.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

whacky weed?

8. boots

boots New Member

Marijuana was found in the truck.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know that... sounded like something Mike Brady would say to Carol...

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes, but the tox report brought back Thursday didn't find any evidence of Mary Jane.

11. boots

boots New Member

That's very interesting. With so much refer in the truck and a bowl, I' naturally assumed, like others, that he was doing a Cheech and Chong. Weed stays in the system for at least a month so it proves that he wasn't high.

12. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

Not quite entirely true, IIRC. They didn't find any active ingredients, but they did find that he had used in the past.

From the Post-Dispatch story linked earlier in this thread

The St. Louis medical examiner, Dr. Michael Graham, gave the final report on Hancock on Thursday, saying, "He was not under the influence of anything other than the alcohol."

Police found some marijuana in the wrecked SUV. Graham said tests showed that Hancock had used marijuana in the past "but there was no active component of marijuana" in his system when he died.

Draft saved Draft deleted