1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hancock family to sue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Rules of Golf, May 24, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Do not reveal the previous names of posters. Just like outing. Some people have good reason for changing names, like job security.
    We even protect the assholes.

2. boots

boots New Member

I want to know why is the daddy suing the tow company?

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Because it's their fault they were there!
    The drunk driver would have been juuuuuuuuuust fine if that object wasn't in the way.

4. Moderator1

Get off each other's asses please and talk about the suit. We thank you.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The suit is a joke.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

and....?

Happy.... (come on... you've come this far...) Fumunda Cheese Day...

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I can see a suit if there was in fact negligence, if, for example, the driver of the other car hadn't changed his oil in 20,000 miles, or had bald tires, or had faulty brakes, or had something that contributed to the crash, even if it wasn't necessarily all his fault. In other words, if those situations hadn't been in place, he wouldn't have been in position to be involved.

However, as the cause of the stall appears to be: "A police report said the car became stalled when it spun out after being cut off by another vehicle," that has less validity in my book. I'm not quite sure how a car stalls out from spinning out, but I'd imagine it's possible. Obviously if one were driving a stick-shift, it could easily happen, though the car would be, theoretically anyway, easily restarted. Anyone with more knowledge of cars have any insight?

As for the tow-truck driver, as long as the flashers were on, that makes him pretty visible from distance to anyone paying attention, which, as far as we know, Hancock wasn't. If I were stalled in the right lane of the interstate, I wouldn't want the tow-truck driver fucking around with flares. If I were a tow-truck driver handling a car in the right lane of the interstate, I'd damn sure take my time.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As a lawyer, I hate reading about these cases. You should know that they are rarely successful, as the very act of going to a bar and drinking while intending to drive home is reckless behavior.

9. Moderator1

You are a lawyer?
    Jeez. Damn. And to think I liked you!

10. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Like many here I cringed when I read about the suit. However, I'll quibble with one point about the responsibility of the servers at Shannon's. As someone who held a bartender's license for a long time and worked in the biz for a long time you'd better do all you can to know if you one of your customers is hammered.

(If it were up to me we'd put equipment to measure BAC in every bar just to make sure)

And if you think they are impaired, stop serving them immediately.

I've never been in Shannon's so I don't the size, number of servers on duty, etc. But if a bartender kept giving this guy drinks or witnessed others handing him drinks every few minutes, suspected he was drunk and didn't stop it that is wrong, and depending on the laws of the state, possibly illegal.

If I'm behind the bar I can't just keep the tap flowing and say: Well, I couldn't tell he/she was drunk.

You have to err on the side of caution. Yes, Josh was an adult and is ultimately responsible. But if any server at that place contributed and knew he was intoxicated, they played a role, too.

And remember, I'm speaking as someone who had to worry about such matters for legal and moral reasons.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A good way to find out would be to read the stories about the topic printed online and in the newspapers rather than ask message board posters.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Where's the sport in tha.... oh, just saw the poster...

I agree. Dig online instead of asking here..

Draft saved Draft deleted