1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hancock details from police

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by noodles, May 1, 2007.

1. Kent_Dorfman

Kent_Dorfman Member

When do the Cardinals change the 32 arm patches to ones that say MADD?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-cardinals-hancock&prov=ap&type=lgns

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

So, aside from eating a cheeseburger or beating off, he pretty much had all his bases covered.

Amazing he didn't take anyone with him.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

No. The distinction is not one of being legally vs. illegally drunk, it's a distinction of being legally vs. common sensically drunk. ie, someone with a high tolerance for alcohol could pass a sobriety test but still be legally drunk with a .08 BAL, and vice versa.

It's like saying "as a matter of law, he was drunk."

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Poindexter speaks the truth.

A harsh truth yes.

But the truth nonetheless.

People make mistakes. The height of stupidity is not learning from them. And Hancock paid the price you deserve -- your own life -- when you keep repeating a mistake of that magnitude.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What floors me is the lack of a seat belt. Every time I read about a fatal accident, it seems like the person/people involved chose not to wear one. And I don't get that.

Agree with everyone else that is fortunate Hancock didn't take any other lives with him.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I can't believe how carried away we get with the seat belt issue.
    Not wearing a seat belt hurts no one except the idiot who chooses not to wear it.

Speeding while drunk and talking on a cell phone puts other people at risk. Not wearing a seat belt does not.

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Agree on the seat belt, though David Halberstam had one on.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Based on the looks of his Explorer, I doubt a seatbelt would've helped.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know this, but it floors me that people still choose not to wear one.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

At least in this particular instance, I don't think it would have mattered if he were wearing a seat belt.

[​IMG]

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When I read a story like this I think about how often hometown cops let impaired sports stars off the hook and back into traffic. See Taylor, Lawrence.

Draft saved Draft deleted