1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hancock details from police

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by noodles, May 1, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: new story on Hancock - wow

I'm not defending the guy but the reports I've seen indicate the tow truck wasn't on the shoulder. It was parked in the far left lane of the freeway.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Tony LaRussa thinks that all of this is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, little man.

The worst thing about last year's World Series was that LaRussa was the recipient of such a gift.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Let's not forget that LaRussa was arrested in Florida during spring training. I'm not sure you have to be a role model for your players at that level, but it's an interesting tidbit.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm well-versed about Tony's mentality of "gotcha journalism." He hasn't met Mike Wallace yet. With that said, there isn't a defensive mechanism that he can use to protect his players or himself to the STL media with regards to his DUI and Hancock's final days on the sauce, from what's being said and observed. Big Bernie, Gordo, and Burwell will be hunting The Midwestern Sicilian (or Italian) down once the team gets back from the funeral in Clarksdale.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

None on this reflects on anyone but Josh Hancock.

And I don't know why this reflects badly on Mike Shannon just because he owns a restaurant and is also the play-by-play man. It would be akin to saying it's Mike Shannon's fault whenever someone dies drinking an easy drinking Busch Light.

The Cardinals are intrinsically linked with beer. Everyone knows that. It doesn't mean they're responsible for those who don't know how to handle it.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Bubbler, it was an observational opinion, not a fact. I caught a small dose of local radio today, and the host tried to blame Shannon and his restaurant for not calling a cab to pick-up Hancock, even after Hancock refused one. Yes, Hancock took his life in his hands by his own choice. You know this as well as I do that we should not be surprised if his family might file a wrongful death suit against Shannon and his place for serving Hancock, causing him to get drunk, and not shoving Hancock into a cab kicking and screaming and sending him home.

There's a lawyer who can't wait to whisper that in their ears.

7. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

All I can say is thank goodness Hancock was the only casualty of his recklessness.

I'm not saying it's good he died whatsoever. I'm just happy he didn't injure or kill someone else.

8. ogre

ogre Member

boozing is a funny word. nobody can deny that. speakeasy? I didnt say they were drinking bathtub gin after rapping the secret knock on the door.

What Im saying about drinking "with" a guy is that if a reporter is at a bar, sees a player drinking, and then hears the next day that the player died in a car accident, the reporter should put one and one together. Of course he did put it together, and chose not to act on it.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Without being a dick, can we wait until the tox screen is back before we assume the worst?

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You are so cute.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Tony LaRussa is inflicted with that Bill Parcells/Nick Saban/Bob Knight syndrome in which he believes that because he's good at what he does as the coach/manager of a sport, he's mentally superior to all of those around him.
    They're all dumb jockos. If they couldn't coach a lick, they'd be Ace Hardware managers or teaching six-grade gym.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Or in LaRussa's case a lawyer, but I see your greater point.

Draft saved Draft deleted