1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hamilton relapses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Feb 2, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: Josh Hamilton allegedly relapses

I give the guy a lot of credit. In each case we know of that he relapsed, he's been very upfront and honest about it.

He hasn't hidden, he hasn't released a statement written for him. He's spoken plainly about it, without delay.

Hamilton very much wants to be a role model. I think he really does feel like he's let a lot of people down -- beyond just his family -- in both of these incidents.

And, while I don't know what his family incident was, I know how that can be a stressor/trigger. I know how hard my cousin's divorce and his and my aunt's death was on his ability to stay sober.

When you've dealt with stress by drinking or doing drugs your whole life, it's hard not to turn to them, even if you've been clean for a long time.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

He's being a very good role model in this instance. Everyone has their demons and falls short at times. Owning it and still trying to move forward is a great message.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

One of the things he said was that he was staying in a hotel about a quarter mile from the restaurant/bar he was at, not his house in Westlake. That leads to (admittedly unfounded) speculation that he had some kind of issue with his wife.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He also thanked the media for not prying into "me and my family’s personal things going on right now," then followed with "I know there’s going to be one or two people that do."

No kidding?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mickey Mantle looks down and wonders what all the fuss is about.

ESPN story is a bit confusing. If I understand it correctly Hamilton had 3-4 drinks prior to calling Kinsler and then after Kinsler letf Hamilton had a few more drinks.

How many days will it take before we learn which Dallas men's clubs were involved.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Josh Hamilton has been upfront about it ... at least the times which we're familiar.

It's a story. Not only is it news, but also if it were ignored, the race card would be drawn faster than an ace out of a cardshark's sleeve. Remember the rage about here when it was deemed that Ben Roethlisberger's womanizing was underreported ...

Hamilton himself knows it's a story, though this isn't the kind of exposure he wanted. It also helps that even someone hired to help ensure he doesn't give in to temptation is news.

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Changed.

I only put that last night because it wasn't clear if he actually had relapsed.

9. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Hired by the employer is different, for certain. But it's not an uncommon practice in Christian circles, for a variety of situations or struggles.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Most people with addictions don't have a tenth of the support system Hamilton has available to him at little or no cost. Most people don't have motivational speaking gigs they can land where the profit off of their "recovery".

Addiction is real, and it's nasty, but Hamilton gets a ton of help a regular Joe doesn't get.

Now, you have to wonder if he's having problems with his wife and if he's been drinking before this week. I can imagine it wouldn't be fun for this father-in-law to be constantly around with marital strife.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Hamilton says he doesn't owe the Rangers a hometown discount. The team might owe him a scotch and soda.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/7611343/texas-rangers-josh-hamilton-said-feel-owes-texas-rangers

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's right.

Draft saved Draft deleted