1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

josh hamilton piece in new s.i. (6/2)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, May 28, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If I had a dime for every time someone claimed Goldsboro was near Raleigh, I'd never have to work again. And some charity - probably the Keep Pounding Fund in addition to a fund established by a Goldsboro native I was fortunate enough to meet a few times - would be awash in cash, too.

In addition to the glaring error ondeadline spotted, one time it was mispronounced "Glassboro" by a Fox announcer in talking now Titans linebacker David Thornton. Do. Your. Research.

Trust me, I've done mine. ;) 8)

----

On subject, I was in the area during Hamilton's senior year at Athens Drive. Members of the opposing school team was in line to get his autograph - as was an assistant coach. Hamilton couldn't have been a nicer guy.

And that was after he got done knocking balls over the greenhouse that was 50 feet beyond the outfield fence. Holy smoke ...

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

More importantly, has anyone noticed that each new book excerpt has also had a corresponding full-page ad in the following week's issue?

There's a big, fat ad for the Dan Patch book in this week's edition.

Some of the excerpts I don't mind. Probably wouldn't have read the 1958 Colts-Giants book (which I highly recommend) if not for the SI excerpt. ... But I really wish they'd have more staff-written stories instead of the excerpts every damn week.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Ellenton is not Bradenton; it's just north of it. There's a great BBQ place in Ellenton, but I know nothing about the tattoo parlors in either town.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Refresh me. Who did that book? Thanks.

5. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

David Maraniss did Rome.
    Charles Leerhsen did Dan Patch.
    Mark Bowden did Giants/Colts. (Two, three years ago, SI did another excerpt, from Tom Callahan's Unitas book, dealing with that game. I think they even used the same iconic Unitas photo.)

Draft saved Draft deleted