1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

josh hamilton piece in new s.i. (6/2)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, May 28, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i didn't say the tale has not been told before in the places josh has played. just said i was ignorant to his journey until s.i. did it and i found it compelling enough to be rooting for the guy. the tale has a roy hobbs feel to it, no? ??? ??? ???

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It was a good story. Personally, I think Dave Sheinin did the best JH piece a few years ago, even though it came before Hamilton showed he could be a masher once again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/12/AR2007021201312.html

3. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

As long as we're citing way-back stories, let me say that Anne Hull of The Washington Post did a really good 3-part series during Hamilton's rookie-league season. Now a Pulitzer winner and 7-time Pulitzer finalist, she was then writing for the St. Petersburg Times. (I'd link it, except I Nexis'd it and it can't be linked that way. It's too long to cut and paste).

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sheinin's one of the best around. Vastly underrated.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

How about this?

http://www.sptimes.com/News/webspecials/abaseballstory/

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

That story was great. I read it last year sometime. It's creepy how Hamilton tells Carl Crawford he won't get a tatoo because his parents wouldn't like it -- or something like that.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The SI piece, while not new, was well done.

I hope Josh Hamilton can stay clean. It sounds like he's taking every precaution he can think of, but addiction is a cruel, cruel thing.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Well, the Rangers just went to St. Pete, and if he made it through that then he can do it. Generally, the recovering player will revert in the city where he first found trouble.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And now he's covered in them and hates every single one. That's a great detail. It's one thing to have the obligatory small tattoo from college that you now regret (hi, Mrs. Playthrough), but to look at that many reminders of your past every day is creepy indeed.

10. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I remember reading a piece on him a while back and it mentioned how aghast his parents were at all the tattoos, and when he came home one day with a big tribal band inked on his arm, his mom flipped out, asking him, "What tribe are you in?!??"

I love reading this guy's story; I'll probably check out all of the links here.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

wow playthrough, never took you as the "tramp-stamp" kinda guy.
    :)

I need to set aside some time to read the SI piece. I've followed Hamilton's career for a long time, and his Christian views mixed with the role his parents played in every facet of his life are fascinating to me.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Well done piece, but they could have used a fact checker. Or a Google search would have done the trick.

The Narrons are from Goldsboro, N.C., not "Goldsburg." (There is no such town in N.C.) And it's not "just outside Raleigh" as the story says. It's nearly 70 miles from Raleigh.

Draft saved Draft deleted