1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hamilton is back

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CollegeJournalist, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I can't think of a Reds hitter that doesn't have a flaw -- for the most part, they all come up wanting to hit three-run homers, regardless of score, inning, count, runners on base (if any) and/or actual ability to hit home runs.

That said, Freel is their best lead-off hitter and can steal bases. He needs to be in the lineup everyday or at least 6 out of 7.

I'd suggest that the best move would be to put Griffey at first base, but I don't think he'd go for it.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

to put hamilton at first would be stupid. the dude is their best defensive outfielder, he's faster than probably anyone else on the team and he's certainly got the best outfield arm

griffey's not going to play first. you do what you did before, youo have freel in nearly every day, just different positions

3. HoopsMcCann

come to think of it, i'd put hamilton's fastball against anyone's on the roster

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I agree with you, I was just thinking there was no way Griffey would move from CF to RF to 1B in less than one year. I guess Dunn could move. Or Freel could do what he did last year, but those who say he needs to play every day are probably right.

I was just wondering what they might do to get Hamilton more ABs.

It’s not a bad problem. Now, their pitching on the other hand…

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As I said in an earlier thread on Hamilton, his destination is center field w/Freel returning to super-sub status. The Narron bros. have a lot invested in his success and they're going to ride his star as far as it will take them this year. Injuries, of course, could change all of this.

6. Hammer Pants

Or, you know, drugs.

7. Msaint

Msaint Member

Yes, rotoworld led me astray on the curveball report. D'oh!

He's 1-3 today, 2-run single, scored a run during a 6-run inning that erased a 5-0 Cubbies lead. Been said before but he'll keep starting as long as he produces like this, immensely talented. While I know the gist (drugs, etc.), I haven't read his story past Part III of Anne Hull's St. Pete Times series, however...anyone have any more pieces on him that do a good job of explaining what, exactly, happened to this kid (or what he did to himself)?

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Hamilton is starting today, Freel is on the bench. As a Freel owner in fantasy baseball I say put Dunn at 1B and Freel, Hamilton and Griffey in the OF. :)

9. Hammer Pants

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/12/AR2007021201312.html?nav=hcmodule

Or you can wait and read it in the next BASW.

10. HoopsMcCann

yeah, can you imagine how much it'd suck to be a reds beat writer and follow that? impossible. great piece by dave

11. Hammer Pants

It's never fun when you look up at practice or team offices and see a good feature writer from outside the beat with time and nothing else on their plate.

I recommend sedatives. Large ones.

12. hachat11

hachat11 Member

Wow. That's all I can say. A great, great piece. Thanks for posting.

Draft saved Draft deleted