1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hamilton is back

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CollegeJournalist, Mar 14, 2007.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Narron knows about human tragedy. He was the Yankees catcher in the first game after Thurman Munson died.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Want Steve Phillips' opinion? I know I don't and neither does anyone else, but he plays the Grinch to this feel-good story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/columns/story?columnist=phillips_steve&id=2792089

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

and that's why steve phillips is holding fake press conferences on espn rather than real ones anywhere outside of bristol

seriously -- norris hopper or chris denorfia over josh hamilton? please. i doubt anyone in the reds clubhouse -- even hopper or denorfia -- thinks hamilton doesn't belong there. i think it was in a hal mccoy story, but adam dunn said of hamilton 'he's the best baseball player i've ever seen' -- dunn said he'd played with hamilton in the instructional league and had never seen a better player

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Props to Steve for at least mentioning all the second chances he's gotten from Marni and the Mets.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

So has Hamilton earned the starting spot in right field? If so, that will likely push Freel back to the bench/utility role -- at least until either Encarnacion or Griffey get injured.

6. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

Funny, when I first saw the story in the Post I wondered what the hell it was in there for. I saw Hamilton play in the minors last year - short season A - and he didn't do anything to stand out. I read the story and thought it was pretty good, but didn't SI do a story on Hamilton within the last year or two that compared his career to Beckett (I think the No. 2 draft pick that year). I didn't feel like I found out much new in the Post story.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i don't think so freelance... it's still up in the air

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

He didn't stand out? He had played like 15 games in four years. He's tearing the cover off the ball. Sure it's spring training and sure he hasn't gone around the league yet, but if this guy can stay clean he'll be an All-Star in five years. Bank on it!

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Right now, Freel is the projected starter in CF and Griffey in RF...at least according to one article I saw where Griff said he had no problem playing right.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Hamilton will be there waiting in the wings when Griffey gets hurt playing with his kids.

11. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

He's a great story and we're all rooting for him, but from a baseball standpoint has anyone wondered what will happen when Josh starts facing curveballs in real games?

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

He'll probably be on the bench. Again if this guy stays clean he'll be an All-Star in five years. He's that talented.

Draft saved Draft deleted