1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hamilton: Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This isn't a question about his on-the-field credentials. We all know that he has to string together four or five MVP-caliber seasons, staying healthy, to even be in the conversation. And he's already 31 now.

This is a question about whether you think that his past should weigh against him. Character is part of the vote. Has he shown character by overcoming his drug addiction? Or does he lack it because he fell into drugs in the first place, cheating himself and the game out of a Ted Williams-esque career?

Michael Irvin is the most recent comparison I can think of. But he didn't cost himself years on the field.
  2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

3. Dick Whitman

Because of the drugs?
  4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Let's wait a few years before getting the plaque ready.
  5. Dick Whitman

Did you read the first sentence of the thread?
  6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This... Obviously, I'm not a voter, but if he falls short of hitting a few key milestones, I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's a lot different than the Darryl Strawberrys of the world who had their careers ended prematurely because of drug use than a guy who fought through it.

Obviously, he needs several more spectacular seasons for this to become an actual issue... and he has to stay clean...
  7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is why this thread is pointless. He's slipped up before. If he slips up one, two, three more times, how does that affect things?
  8. Dick Whitman

This may not go over well, but I don't get the feeling that people get particularly worked up about alcohol. It's not great, mind you, because he has an addictive personality. But alcohol isn't what everybody is worried about.
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't see why you'd give Hamilton any benefit of the doubt or let him slide on the numbers for the time he missed. Whatever the reason, he didn't produce. It isn't a lot different than what comes up on the interminable Edgar Martinez discussion: Everyone wants to say what he would have done if the M's called him up sooner, but the fact remains he didn't do it. And there have been a lot of people whose careers have been shortened by a number of years owing to injury or something else (and in probably a few borderline cases from decades ago, even a war).
  10. Dick Whitman

Yeah, he probably doesn't get the Sandy Koufax exemption. Albert Belle didn't.
  11. Mizzougrad96

Obviously, it changes everything...

I know it's just May, but let's assume he wins the MVP (his second) this season. If he's able to win another MVP and wind up with 11-12 seasons where he plays at an all-star level, I could see making a case for him even though he won't have the stats that are usually needed to to get in.

It's a ton of ifs, but I think it's an interesting discussion, because with the way he's playing now, would it really surprise anyone if he has three MVPs by the time he's done?
  12. Mizzougrad96

Well, if Belle wasn't one of the biggest assholes in the history of the game, he might have gotten a much better shot at making it to Cooperstown. I know the voters didn't hold that against Steve Carlton, but he was too much of a lock. I'll bet Jim Rice being a dick played a huge role in why he had to wait so long for induction.

For Belle to have had a chance to make Cooperstown, it would require a bunch of people whose lives he made miserable to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.