1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hamilton: Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 13, 2016.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Tim Raines may finally get in the Hall if that wing opens.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hamilton doesn't even have the career of all the coke heads listed.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Certainly the drug use has effected his career.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What did the neutral arbitrator say when Artie Moreno tried to suspend him? I forget.

Then, when you figure that out, maybe you can explain what you think Hamilton did to "screw" the Angels.

Because all I remember is the Angels organization behaving disgracefully during that episode.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    YankeeFan likes this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Hamilton started using again and ultimately refused an assignment to extended spring training because he was trying to force his way out. He said he didn't care that the Angels were paying him an astronomical sum to do nothing because it was their fault -- they signed him knowing he was an addict. ("Hey, you fucked up -- you trusted me!")

I hope he grows up at some point. He's 34 years old. It's a little overdue.

6. cranberry

He had a one-night relapse that he self reported and the Angels tried to fuck him over because they didn't like the contract they had negotiated with him.

He was well within his rights not to accept a suspension or an extended spring training assignment. The neutral arbitrator agreed with him.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's swell that he self-reported he was using cocaine and drinking. Given that he had to pee in a cup three times a week, the self-reporting isn't all that impressive to me.

Look, man, I hope the guy grows up and gets his act together. I wouldn't wish that stuff on anyone. But bottom line, I think he acted like a complete asshole on his way out of Anaheim, and I'm not going to fault the Angels for having expectations for him.

8. cranberry

He did nothing wrong but have a one-night relapse. The Angels saw it as an opportunity to save money on a contract they regretted and they got slapped down for it. The club handled the situation disgracefully. Josh and his representatives handled the case exactly as they should have and they prevailed in arbitration. Think what you like but understand the facts are not on your side.

JC likes this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

To be fair, it's not like the almighty Trout was so hot in that series either.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Oh, I know Hamilton was off the charts bad. But it was an overall terrible series for all of Anaheim's big sluggers.

Draft saved Draft deleted