1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jose Offerman incites brawl, arrested

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da_grand_pubah, Aug 15, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Clearly, the trip from Central Islip to Bridgeport aggravated Offerman. It's truly an annoyance sitting in LIE traffic, trying to get to the Port Jefferson Ferry.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Offerman was a two-time All-Star, but never a great player, just a real good name. When I think of Offerman, I don't think of a long hitting streak, I think of the worst shortstop in major league history. He committed 42 errors in 1992, 37 in '93, 11 in 72 games during the '94 season, then came back in 1995 with 35 in 115 games. I wonder why the Dodgers got rid of him.

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Wasn't he also Dan Duquette's answer for letting Mo Vaughn go? I believe it was a $30M deal, which also matched the number he wore for the Red Sox so all those at Fenway faithful could be reminded of that after he struck out with runners on second and third.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

This is how I always remember him:

Spell his last name with two F's and 50 E's

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

At least the overall acceptance of basebrawls shelters him from the "thug" label.

That picture of him attempting to pummel that pitcher is worse than any sports related brawl i've witnessed.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

I always thought this one was pretty bad.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Blog entry ... nice lede ...

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/blogs/boston/2007/08/15/jose-offerman-finally-makes-contact/

Just when the baseball world thought it was safe from Jose Offerman’s tin glove and hollow bat… well it’s not. And apparently his bat isn’t so hollow anymore either.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

[Jason]Hmm....I blame Meringue!![/Whitlock]

9. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Instead of a cute lede, maybe he should have concentrated on getting the facts correct. "Beaned" means hit in the head. Offerman wasn't beaned. The ball reportedly hit him in the calf. Huge difference, especially in light of Offerman's reaction.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Hey now ... I'm still wondering when blog entries started coming up on the Google news string.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Marichal, this guy ain't. And how the hell did this guy play in not one, but TWO All-Star Games? If any year he "should" have gone, it should have been '98, which smacks of both of a walk-year/juiced-up aberration.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've never fully understood this bullshit of going after a pitcher who threw at you. I guess the only thing similar in everyday life is if somebody cuts you off on the freeway, and the natural inclination in that case is to go after the guy who cut you off, but come on, it's still bullshit.
    So the pitcher fucked with his livelihood. Cry me river.

Draft saved Draft deleted