1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jose Guillen to Chef: "You ain't got squat on me"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doubledown68, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I once broke both big toes in a one-year period, and both toenails eventually came off.

I broke two fingers and a thumb playing baseball. The thumb broke two ways like a cross right on the knuckle, compliments of a high-and-tight fastball from some AAU shithead who appropriately signed with Duke.

My dad — the toughest son of a bitch I've ever known and one hell of a fine baseball coach back in the day — convinced my AAU coach that I'd "shake it off" if I "had a pair." I finished the game with grit and foul language, and eventually went to the doctor TWO OR THREE DAYS later. More than a decade later, the damn thumb still doesn't bend all the way. It still stings sometimes when I play basketball, football, baseball, golf or whathever dumb, drunk shit we do on the lake every summer.

Anyway, the point: None of the fingers or the thumb hurt anything like the toes. Every step was a bitch for weeks. It sucked. I will NEVER again question an athlete sitting out with a toe-related injury.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Thanks to everyone for so candidly sharing their toenail issues.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Sixty percent of the time, we're helpful all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted