1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jose Guillen to Chef: "You ain't got squat on me"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doubledown68, Feb 20, 2009.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So have I, twice.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The relief is immediate

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I've also had the surgery done 3 times. I wouldn't recomend the do it yourself method but it isn't as bad as it's being made out to be.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wow.

Sorry to hear that. That's a lot of work.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

My brother struggled with it so bad that he had half of his big toe nails removed a time or two before they went ahead and yanked off both big toe nails.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Years of cramming your foot into skates 2 sizes to small. Hockey players feet are just mangled.

7. I've done my fair share of self-surgery with ingrown toenails, too. They used to be so bad that anytime I stubbed my toe or someone accidentally stepped on it, it'd bleed for an hour.

8. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

At least half a dozen surgeries since I was 15 ... I've lost count. Though I never had the guts to do the job myself, I guess. Depending on the doctor, a couple of the procedures were pretty painful, even with a local anesthetic.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Guillen didn't have that great of a year last year. Still, I appreciate his ability to hit the ball and I love how he shows up every day ready to kick some ass. He knows nothing less than 100 percent when he's in the lineup.

I also loved his fiery attitude in the Royals clubhouse. It rubbed about 9 other teams the wrong way, but it's exactly what KC needed post-Sweeney.

I think he's going to have a pretty good year, and the Royals win 85 games.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

His counting stats (20 HR, 97 RBI) seem solid, but he had a 96 OPS+ last year. Basically, he's slightly below average as a hitter and as a fielder the Fielding Bible’s +/- system has him at 19 plays below average on the season. He does this for $12 million. Financial resources shouldn't be squandered like this, especially by teams that can't afford as many misssteps.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That's crap. He's not a slightly below average hitter. He had a slightly below average season as far as that stat is concerned. He still drove in 97 runs, which was one of the sole reasons he was signed.

His last four healthy seasons before 2008, he had an OPS+ of 142, 121, 116 and 116.

Argue his contract all you want. But compare 2007 contracts to 2007 contracts. Andruw Jones got 18 million/year the same offseason.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

LOVED Jose Guillen when he was a barely 20, future fucking stud with the Pirates.

I haven't seen the guy play recently but he has/had a cannon of an arm. I'll never forget that one throw in Colorado where he gunned a runner going to third on a frozen rope from deep right. Or Greg Brown's call, a big reason why I have just 10 percent hearing in my left ear.

Then again, the Pirates needed a catcher after Jason Kendall's ankle exploded on Fourth of July '99. I only wish they hadn't given up Guillen to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted