1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jose Canseco said he introduced ARod to steroid dealer in a new book.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Mar 26, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

But if Canseco mentioned ARod's alleged steroid use in the first book, he'd get the attention he so desperately craves. I think that once the first book backed into credibility vis a vis Palmerio, Tejada and McGwire's use of steroids, Canseco felt that he now had free reign to name drop anyone he thought might have used.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe, but my point was he's dropping Rodriguez's name now because people were no longer paying enough attention to him. He got his little bump from the first book and he was fading back into relative obscurity again.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Ask Mike Greenwell sometime what he thinks of Canseco. I've never heard a rant quite like that, still have it on tape somewhere.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Saw this book at the bookstore yesterday. I am now dumber for having read the phrase "Mitch-slapped."

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And for good reason, apparently.

Somewhere, Canseco is laughing at the people who didn't believe him.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Really never know who is telling the truth. Jose, the cleanest one of them all. Whodathunkit?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

He'll be laughing all the way to the bank. Especially if, by chance, he has enough dirt left over for a third book.

What I'm laughing at, meanwhile, are some of the comments on this thread from its first go-around.

9. outofplace

Why? The man had zero credibility. If he walks around telling people there are 24 hours in a day, does he suddenly gain some credibility because he spoke the truth that time.

You always have to question the credibility of any source. How do you do that?

You look at the person's history. Canseco is a dirtbag. He has broken the law many times. He lied for years about his own steroid use.

You look at the person's motivation. Canseco's departure from baseball was bitter. He accused MLB of blackballing him. He has also accused A-Rod of trying to get in his wife's pants. If I remember correctly, he even said that he hates A-Rod.

He may have turned out to be right, but he is not a credible source. My guess is he was using rumors he heard about A-Rod to carry out his own vendetta rather than basing his story on actual solid information.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

You forgot to add "as far as we know right now."

Funny that you said in another post that Canseco lost the ability to hit for average. Looks to me like he's batting 1.000 with a slugging percentage of 4.000 - two for two with a couple of bombs to the upper deck.....pun intended. :)

11. outofplace

If that's the kind of guy you find to be credible, neither I nor anybody else can help you.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, well, way to say that the guy is full of shit when it comes to his allegations:

"He's lying. What's he lying about? Um, well, I can't answer that question. But I know he's lying."

Draft saved Draft deleted