1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jose Canseco said he introduced ARod to steroid dealer in a new book.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A few years ago, everybody called bullshit on Canseco's first book... Now, we know that most, if not all of it is true...

Is the guy a douchebag? Absolutely. But I'm not going to be so quick to dismiss his claims this time.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just because somebody told at least part of the truth once doesn't mean he is telling it now.

He has done a lot more in this life to lose credibility than to earn it.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hank strikes back:

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/yankees/HAMMERIN_HANK.html

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think Canseco lucked into the first book's credibility. Now that he has axes to grind, all the credibility will be pissed away.

5. outofplace

I agree with you that he lucked into the first book's credibility, but Canseco always had an axe to grind. At the same time as he started promoting the first book, he was telling everybody that MLB had blackballed him and prematurely ended his career. Never mind that he had lost his ability to hit for average, could no longer play in the field, could not stay healthy and brought a sizeable amount of baggage with him. Nobody was willing to overpay for what he used to be, so he insisted it was some conspiracy against him.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The denouncements this time nearly mirror those from the first book.

I'm willing to give him some credibility based upon how he came out as the one telling the truth the first time.

7. outofplace

That's because the things Canseco has done haven't changed. He is a proven dirtbag with multiple reasons to lie (axe to grind against baseball, profit, grudge against Alex Rodriguez).

Not everything Canseco threw out there was proven true, either. He threw a lot of shit against the wall and some of it stuck.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What did he say that wasn't true? I haven't read 'Juiced,' so I don't know all the claims he made, other than the ones that were proven true.

9. outofplace

I'd have to go look that one up. I honestly don't remember the names off the top of my head. There were some players he insisted were on steroids because of changes in their physique or what not, some of whom have never tested positive nor shown up in the Mitchell Report.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Bingo.

Why didn't he speak on the A-Rod saga in his FIRST book?

I wonder what happened between now and then for Canseco to suddenly speak on this.

11. outofplace

People weren't paying enough attention to him.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Canseco was right about a lot of minor things, too, like Tony Saunders.

The strangest thing in that book is the Dave Martinez allegations.

Draft saved Draft deleted