1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jose Canseco just can't hang 'em up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Apr 11, 2011.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/story?id=6330573

Will coach -- and play for -- the Yuma Scorpions, along with his twin brother.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yuma paper shouldn't cover this joke of a team, especially since Jose ripped off another Golden Baseball League club. The Cansecos won't last half a season.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jose will get tossed and switch unis with Ozzie in the first homestand. You can book it.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Agreed, though while I don't know what exact level Yuma is, Canseco did pretty nice in indy ball last year. Packed the house, still is a draw. Why? Who knows, but apparently some still find him a star attraction.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Canseco (Jose, not Ozzie) was brought in for a pre-game boxing match against a buddy of mine at a minor league baseball game last year. Drew a huge crowd. Go figure.

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

My thought, exactly. This has to be a marketing ploy; nothing else.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

By the way, the newly hired GM of the Scorpions was also GM of the minor league team Canseco played with for a bit last year. Not sure why the Yuma paper has made any mention of that fact. The GM is a HUGE Canseco fan. So I think we know who'll be running the show.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We've all seen the ads. What else is there to do in Yuma in the summer except sweat?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Canseco was on Tony Bruno's radio show the other night. I really wish Bruno asked him what Canseco's long-term goals are. He seems to flit from train wreck to train wreck.

10. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Who won?

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I think the local guy won on a "decision," but it wasn't much of a fight. Local guy -- former TV sports anchor now working for the local mid-major college athletic department doing fundraising; he's in his 60s -- actually trained for the fight. Canseco just threw a few half-hearted punches in the three rounds, signed a couple of autographs afterwards and collected his money.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

At last check, Scott Spiezio, Edgardo Alfonso and Carl "Jurassic" Everett were kicking it around with the Newark Bears.

Draft saved Draft deleted