1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jordan's HS coach bailed out by journalist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

even though jordan has enough money to buy the state of montana, i think it's bullshit lake calls him out in this manner. it's up to jordan how how he wants to or not spend his money. what i do appreciate is the fact that lake continues to call jordan out for lying about what took place during his sophomore season in high school.

on a side note, the poster who earlier suggested that pop, a paranoid schizophrenic should take care of his own affairs? come on, serious, a paranoid schizophrenic? that's a ridiculous point to attempt to make.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Calling successful people out seems to be in vogue
    these days.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

don't think it has anything to do the being vogue or not vogue. would it be the right thing to do? fuck yes it would. jordan could set this guy up for the rest of his life simply by doing one underwear commercial. but somehow i don't think king mike gives a fuck because this guy hurt his precious pride when he was a 15-year-old punk.
    i think lake is going for what's right in the bigger scheme of life and karma. but the bottom line is, it's not lake's money to spend.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Calling out successful people who think success occurs in a vacuum might be more the case here. How instrumental was Herring to Jordan's eventual success? Who knows?

I'm still not sure where I land on whether or not Mr. Lake should write and publish this particular piece.

But the foundational principle that journalism exists in part to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable shouldn't be overlooked when trying to figure it out.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Bottom line. Its not Lakes money". Words to live by.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just heard Thomas Lake on the radio talking about the story. Terry Schiavo had more energy than this guy. Jesus.

Anyway, he did mention that he set up an account on Indiegogo.com, where people can donate to the coach. Search for "Show Pop Some Love."

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm sure there are many others that Jordan could throw a dime or two to help them out. Is he obligated, no. And if he is obligated, where does the line end? Does it end with his grade school teachers, his Sunday school teachers, church pastor?

8. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

About 5 years ago (perhaps longer), Randy Galloway of the Ft Worth Star-Telegram bailed Quincy Carter out of jail when Carter was down on his luck. Galloway did not write about the event; other people reported on the fact.

When asked, Galloway said that Carter had provided him lots of column material over the years so he felt he could do one little thing to help him in a time of need.

In a way, Randy Galloway "was the story" here - - but at least he did not "tell the story" at the same time.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Galloway did something out of the goodness of his heart not trying to make a buck off it or gain notoriety. I can't say that Lake did what he did for the same reasons.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And I don't recall Galloway calling out Jerry Jones or anyone else for not bailing out Quincy.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's not Jordan's money, Boom. Words to die by.

12. For all the time Thomas Lake spent with Pop Herring, his understanding of mental illness seems severely lacking and simplistic. Herring's predicament is not something a new house or an exterminator or a $100 bond can even begin to resolve, something I suspect Michael Jordan knows too well. Lake should revisit the line from Herring's daughter quoted in his first story: "You don't just come home one day and find your wife and daughter gone for no reason," she says. "Good try, but no cigar."

Draft saved Draft deleted