1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jordan's HS coach bailed out by journalist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rack em. Stack em and pack em. Great post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again. You'd have to read the first story to understand why Lake wrote the second.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This letter was the natural follow up. I think it makes sense and addresses the situation head-on. He told the story, now he provides a small solution. Thomas Lake's writing style is more suited to features, but the general concept works.

And Michael Jordan doesn't talk to Sports Illustrated, so Lake didn't have that option.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I read the original piece, and this new one still doesn't work for me at all. It comes off as grandstanding and unfair to me.

Jordan has been mean-spirited and petty toward his old coach for years. That still doesn't make him responsible for babysitting the guy from now on. It would be a nice gesture, but it falls well short of an obligation.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree with your point, but disagree with the premise that I have to agree with a column for it to "work." Thomas Lake supported his case with practical ideas and solid logic. I disagree with his point, but that's part of creating a healthy discourse.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree with you.

I question Lake's discernment.

7. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

From talking to him at the Mayborn, Lake's definitely a genuine guy and he's really passionate about what he does. But yeah, I don't know if I would have did what he did. I'm with the whole "tell the stories, not be the story" notion.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I felt exactly the way 21 did before even getting to her post.

I question whether I would have written about it. But this doesn't cast Jordan in a very good light ... whether we've heard a statement from him or not.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Next Thomas Lake writes a letter to Matt Millen suggesting that he reach out to Jerry Sandusky.

I really liked the initial story but this letter seems completely self serving.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It does. And yet, I feel badly that I'm thinking that when the guy did do a good thing bailing him out.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hell, I had coaches in high school I wouldn't bail out of jail.

My siblings had coaches I would have happily paid money to PUT in jail.

Jordan doesn't like his HS coach. That doesn't make him a dick (he's a dick for plenty of other reasons). Maybe Pop is kinda a dick, too.

Lake shouldn't have bailed him out. If he really felt strongly he wanted to do it, he should have given the cash to somebody else and had them do it. If he felt he couldn't trust anybody to do it, that's probably part of the problem.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Exactly. If you want to help someone, you do it without not wanting publicity or becoming the story. Lake's motives bailing Pop out becomes questionable.

Draft saved Draft deleted