1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jordan's HS coach bailed out by journalist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Aug 15, 2012.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think what irks Lake the most is that, beginning at least in 1994 when Jordan basically told a United Center crowd to boo Herring to his face and even as recently as 2009 during his Hall of Fame induction speech, Jordan has continued to publicly perpetuate the myth that Herring did him wrong and "cut" him from the team when that's not what happened in real life.

This does seem a little sensationalistic on Lake's part. But if Jordan is going to continue to go public and disparage Herring for something that didn't happen, who's going to publicly stick up for Herring (who can't do it himself)?

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Has ANYONE ever asked Jordan WHY HE DOESN'T HELP HIS COACH? Before coming down on him, let's hear his side. I'm sure there is a good explanation.
    And I'm not picking sides on this. I think what Lake did was a kind gesture but he wrote about it so he is still profiting from Pop's misfortunes. He could've written a personal letter to Jordan. He could've placed a call. To put this information out in a public forum was bush league to the 10th power.
    If you're doing something for someone out of the kindness of your heart, you don't need to write a story about in SI.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jordan's is a world-class dick. I'm sure there isn't a good explanation.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Be that as it may, I'm sure he has his reasons.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yes. Because he's a dick who holds grudges.

I'm still wondering what would make the author think Jordan would ever do anything to help this guy?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ryan, I'm not defending Jordan. He can be crude and crass and a dick. However, before throwing him under the bus, I'd love to hear what he has to say about the situation.
    Again, Lake's initial presentation was a good read but the open letter was a bit over the top. I don't think it was a genuine as 'I going to get Pop our of jail.' To me it was more like 'I'm going to get Pop out of jail, write about it and embarrass Jordan all in one big move.'

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the question is - does Lake expense the $100?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

In the letter he said he did it with his own money.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Some folks here have often said:

"We are not the story; we are the story-tellers."

I believe that has some currency here.

10. turski7

turski7 Member

So Jordan is supposed to bail out everyone from his past? I fail to see how this is Jordan's responsibility, even if he is a world-class dick.
    Where is the open letter to Pop's family to bail him out and get him into treatment and on meds? Why only Jordan? Why is Lake avoiding Pop's own responsibility and failure to seek help after things started going sideways?
    Jordan hasn't seen this guy in almost 20 years and it's STILL his job to follow Pop's every move and bail him out of jail every time he's arrested? Shit, why doesn't Lake slam Jordan for not buying Pop a house and getting him into treatment and on meds?
    People move on after high school. It's the way of the world. Lake needs to get over Jordan's obvious discontent for his old high school coach. If Lake wants to help the guy, fine, more power to him. But don't go and crush Jordan for issues that are not his responsibility.
    Fuck this letter.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Most of those questions were addressed in the original piece.

12. turski7

turski7 Member

So why whine about it now?

Draft saved Draft deleted