1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jordan/Pippen vs. James/Wade

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 14, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

James and Wade are both much better players than Pippen ever was.

The only non-discussion is who is the best of the four players.

How many times did Pippen hit a game-winning shot in the playoffs?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

By that rationale, John Paxson and Steve Kerr were better than Pippen.

3. Mizzougrad96

I'll take the team with Jordan every time. But there are a lot of "second fiddles" who are a lot better than Pippen.

4. Mizzougrad96

Right, and I know that's not fair, but Pippen wasn't known for stepping up his game in the playoffs.

5. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

One that I found:

Question is, how many did he take?

And name these better "second fiddles." Please say James Worthy so I can laugh myself silly.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Pip was the best defensive small forward I have ever seen, and to say he was not quick enough to stick with Wade is laughable. Pippen was very, very quick and there is no way Wade would be able to get past him. And Jordan is so far above LeBron James it is not funny. Jordan was a far better perimeter shooter and was a better finisher. THe thing is, if this game was happening it would be Pippen guarding LeBron and Jordan on Wade.

LeBron and Wade are not even in the same stratosphere as Pippen and Jordan right now. They have a combined one championship between them, and that title came via some of the worst officiating I have seen in NBA history.

This thread is silly...you can't compare apples to oranges, and that's what this is at this point.

7. Mizzougrad96

I'll take Joe Dumars over Pippen. I'm sure that one will be debated.

Hell, Magic Johnson was second fiddle on those early Showtime teams.

I'd like to see Worthy and Pippen's playoff stats next to each other. Worthy does have a Finals MVP that Pippen never sniffed.

But I do agree that I'd probably take Jordan and any other player in the NBA over James and Wade if they're playing 2 on 2.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that people forget that in the two years that Jordan was retired, Pippen still led the Bulls to the playoffs. That's pretty impressive. (I know Jordan came back at the end of the second season, but Pippen did most of the work to qualify them.) In '94, they were the 3 seed with 55 wins, and took the eventual Eastern Conference champ Knicks to seven games in the Eastern semis. He averaged nearly three steals a game both those seasons, around a blocked shot per game, 21-22 points or so, 8-9 rebounds, and 6-7 assists.

9. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, he was awesome in that key playoff series win over that mighty Cavalier team. :D

10. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Yep, Mizzou. Scoring stats tell the story. That's why Karl Malone is the second-best player ever.

And world-class, all-time best defense means jack shit.

11. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Are you 12 years old? Did you ever see MJ play? That's simply an astounding statement.

12. Mizzougrad96

Pippen also quit on his team in the Eastern Conference semis against the Knicks... Game 3, I believe it was...

Draft saved Draft deleted