1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jordan-Hare question.....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colin Dunlap, Sep 15, 2009.

1. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Agree on the 'Dega reference. As for Oxford, that's one of the few places where I experienced road rage. Ole Miss is in a beautiful town, but not very much thought has been put into traffic management.

2. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

The thoughts I am going to obviously write my gamer at the gun, pull back and refile with quotes after....and then, because of this awful traffic situation everyone describes, just sit up there in the box and write my Monday folo and all the web stuff I need to do.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Even doing that, my friend, you will still be AMAZED at what you see upon exit.

RB

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Oxford's actually one of the easier places to get in and out of on gameday that I've been to. As long as you have a parking pass, just head up fraternity row and you're golden. Of course, with no parking pass you might end up walking a couple miles from the highway.
    Baton Rouge, on the other hand, is a goddamn nightmare. Even with a parking pass, you're sitting in traffic for an hour to get to a place where you can get on campus. Without it? Good luck. They shut down the traffic flow into campus a couple hours before the game. Last time I went, I got there around noon for a 6 p.m. kickoff just so I wouldn't have to park by the interstate.

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Knoxville was always the worst in SEC, IMHO. But it's been a decade since I've been to a game there, so things may have improved.

South Carolina, on the other hand, has always been a breeze to get into. Last time I was there we drove to within 8 blocks of the stadium 30 minutes before kickoff and hardly waited in any traffic. However, I was with locals who knew their way around that fairgrounds/industrial park where the stadium is located.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Are you sure you don't mean Clemson?

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Jordan-Hare is one of my favorite places to be on Saturday. And coming in the back way on Wire Road is a lifesaver.

South Carolina isn't too bad for day games when you have time to write for two hours after a game, but night games suck because you're right in the middle of that fairgrounds mess. Plus, Columbia sucks in general.

I went to Ole Miss so I know my way around there and never have a problem.

I've walked to probably 49 of the 50 or so Georgia games I've been to, but I've heard traffic in and out is a nightmare.

And Clemson sucks, too, and so does it's traffic.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Never. Again.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Yeah, Georgia is bad, too. Just small roads in and around campus make it tough.

Oxford is just like Auburn, in that there are just so few ways to get anywhere. But I have left Vaught-Hemingway at my normal time and been able to flee Oxford WAY faster than Auburn.

rb

10. Andrew Gribble

Andrew Gribble New Member

Things must have changed drastically on the Plains since I began covering the team last season.

Not only is traffic a non-issue by the time you file, blog, tweet, etc.; it's non-existent. It might be a tad worse if you're dealing with a daytime kickoff, but so far this season -- and this Saturday -- the streets are a bit sleepy at 11:30 p.m. You've got to avoid the epicenter of campus, of course, but that's something I'd recommend for all times of day -- not just after gamedays.

Even if traffic were an issue, Auburn media relations does their absolute best to help by making you park so far away that sitting in your car seems like a reward after that hike.

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Far be it from me to buck SJ consensus, but I've never really had a huge traffic problem on my occasional trips to Jordan-Hare. If you try to slip out 30 minutes after the final snap of an LSU or Alabama game, yeah, things are fairly snarled. But the average game -- even this week's tilt with the 'eers -- isn't all that bad.

If you're sticking around for quotes, heading back upstairs and hacking gamer/sider/notes, traffic shouldn't be a problem at all Saturday...especially after you make the 20-minute schlep back to the press parking lot.

Clemson, meanwhile...that's a nightmare. Worse than Auburn, Oxford, Athens, Gainesville, Baton Rouge...Clemson's got to be the worst.

(Oops. Mr. Gribble beat me to it and said it better. But I didn't write all that for nothing, dammit.)

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, but your old enough to drive while Gribble's still on his learner's permit...

Draft saved Draft deleted