1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jones-Talese audio available for those who want to listen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Orange Hat Bobcat, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

So the good folks at Nieman wrangled in Chris Jones for a couple of days last week and had him, one of the new faces of Esquire, talk for nearly two hours with Gay Talese, one of the old faces of Esquire. I had the good fortune of finding a way to Boston, then Cambridge, then the seventh row of Fong Auditorium, in a building on a campus otherwise closed off because of the absurd tent city in the yard that is Occupy Harvard.

It was a marvelous and captivating event.

Talese talked about his reporting and writing processes, about his ridiculous filing practices, about his suits. Jones sat and listened most of the time, as did the rest of us, and asked questions where appropriate. They were both informative and funny.

I recorded the talk -- about 1 hour, 49 minutes in all -- on my Evo and would be happy to send it to anyone who would like to listen to it. Feel free to post an email address here or, if you prefer, in a DM, and I'll send it out as quickly as I can.

2. JPsT

JPsT Member

Sounds intriguing. Any chance you could just upload it somewhere?

3. Orange Hat Bobcat

If anyone cares to walk me through how to post audio from an HTC Evo to this thread, I'll gladly do just that.

4. JPsT

JPsT Member

How were you going to e-mail it to people? I'd e-mail it to yourself, then create an account and upload it to SoundCloud.com or a similar service.

I'm guessing that would be a lot easier than e-mailing it to a few dozen people.

5. Orange Hat Bobcat

I can email directly from the Voice Recorder app/function/tool on the phone through Gmail. That takes 10 seconds. I've just never uploaded any audio files from the phone beyond email or personal use. I'll give SoundCloud a look.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

How big is the file? Sign up for a Dropbox or Box.net account and upload it there. Then you can share the link here or anywhere else.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I would love a copy. buck's right about Dropbox.

8. Orange Hat Bobcat

Attempted an upload today over at SoundCloud. File stopped before I could finish (it is rather large). Will attempt again tomorrow, as well as a possible Dropbox upload. In the meantime, I'll send it out to those who've requested it.

9. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Hey OHB, dropped you a PM. Would love to hear it.

Draft saved Draft deleted