1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jones on Chris Snow in Esquire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Jan 9, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So Jones found some time between titty-fucking Jessica Simpson and drinking with the cabal in Toronto (and openly hoping to get me offed) to write this. Niiiiiiiiiiiiice. :D

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is a beautifully-written story about someone who has a super cool job.

In short, reading one Chris write about the other Chris is both inspiring and depressing at the same time.

Damn you, Jones. Damn you, Snow.

Also, well done.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great point. :D

See: "How to operate the Toronto Maple Leafs, 1967-present" (Joke link, it doesn't go anywhere)

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, when Tucker, Wellwood and Peca are back, we'll be planning the parade route.

5. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

Just cause you're a Canuck -- and while not trying to be an asshole -- I have to give you shit: Shouldn't it have been Canadiens in the final graf?

Yet another good read from Jones. I'll look forward to reading the rest of the issue.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Good catch. You're right. At least it would be in a Canadian publication.

7. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Jones:

You gonna put that story on the Writers' Workshop? I have a few comments that I think would help you become a better writer... I mean, you finished the story with the preposition, "was." Ugh, we're going to have a nice, long chat over there on how to improve your stuff, Mister. I'll see you in five.

Oh, by the way, I'm being a tad sarcastic. ;)

Great stuff.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

Nothing like starting off my day with a goddamn heart attack, Shelby. I read that and just about laid a turd on someone's desk.

Anyway, it's spelled Canadiens in the print edition, thank Christ. Turns out someone on-line must have run the story through the ol' spellchecker and "fixed" it. I am told that it will be re-fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

Seriously, I just about blew a nut.

Also, to Mr. Friendless... You're right, of course. I really, really liked Doug and wrote a longish paragraph about him and his wayward brand of thinking, but it got cut pretty early on. It was probably a good cut, a bit too much of a tangent, but it was my first meeting with him, and I was like, Jesus, this guy is worth a story, too. Part of me would have loved to have fit more in. You're lucky to have shared his company for 12k.

As for the assessment of Snow's job, I got the impression that it will be what he makes it, open-ended. He does have some pretty routine stuff to do, like monitoring the waiver wire, but I believe he will have the chance to stretch. I think his relationship with Doug is the master-apprentice sort, and if all goes well, Snow will one day be a GM somewhere. He's still young yet, though. All that's a long way off.

If I was a betting man, though -- and I am -- if Snow lasts more than a year or two, I'd guess that he's gone from the writing business for good.

And thanks everybody for the kind words.

What's a preposition?

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

I'll wait for my copy in the mail to read it.
    So did Jones again hit that great bar that he wrote about last year?

Draft saved Draft deleted