1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jones' mag picks Scarlett

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Del_B_Vista, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

LinT was excellent, and Scarlett was wonderful in it. What she did in that movie was act, with a capitol A, because acting is just as much, if not more, about quiet moments and what you don't say than it is about shrieking and tears and delivering lines at the top of your lungs. I think, to be honest, it's harder to do what Johanssen did in LinT than it is to do what Charlize Theron did in Monster, because you have to express yourself with little, subtle, quiet movements, and that's freaking hard to do. Her character, Charlotte, was aching to be loved in that film, and yet at the same time, she's extremely guarded. I love the scene where Murray puts his hand on her foot. That's incredibly intimate, and there is a beauty sometimes in the things not said.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't feel tardy ...

Anyhoo, I just saw the Scarlett layout ("huh uh uh, he said lay") and a few things popped to mind. First, Scarlett is feeling awfully tawdry these days. The trailer motif is fantastic. I had no idea she's half-Jewish; made my matzo balls tingle with half-delight (cancer took my left nut, which is why that joke is half-funny). As for the story, it was kind of cool, kind of pedestrian, but the ending did nothing for me. Didn't like the abruptness of it. Made me feel like the end of Sideways when homeboy gets the cojones to climb the stairs to knock on her door before it fades to black. I need better closure, people!

Scarlett's naughty tawdry pictorial more than made up for it, though.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Thank you, SafeSearch is off!

Am I the only one who didn't like "Match Point"? My wife and I rented it and thought it was terrible.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

As a movie, Match Point was just OK. A little cold and weird in a Woody Allen meets Macbeth in London sort of way.
    But as a vehicle for watching Scarlett Johansson be smoking for two hours, it was great.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I decided against bringing up that argument with my wife while disucssing the movie's merits.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My Esquire came last week. Yeah, she's gorgeous, but she looks like she was on lithium the whole time. In every pic, she looks barely awake. Do they drug 'em up before big, sexy shoots?

7. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Not looking to start the ol' "every one of you guys would hit it if she was in a bar" kinda thing -- because hell yes, I would -- but I'm just not as big of a Scarlett fan as the love here would suggest most are. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe I'm the weird one.

I thought Jessica Biel was a super pick last year, though, and Rachel McAdams is always, always welcome to settle in next to me on the couch for an evening of fine Domino's pizza and pinot noir.

8. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I like the Biel pick last year better. I think she's more attractive and it was more of a surprise.

9. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Duff has a new look: http://usmagazine.com/how_hilary_stays_in_shape

Draft saved Draft deleted