1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jones' mag picks Scarlett

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Del_B_Vista, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Ghost World'
    'The Man Who Wasn't There'
    'Girl With a Pearl Earring'
    'Lost in Translation'
    'Match Point'
    All good movies, and she was good in them.

'The Island' — Bad movie, but I didn't think she was bad.

'Black Dahlia' — Bad movie, and she was bad.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ghost World is good for Steve Buscemi (and Ricci).

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Christina Ricci's not in 'Ghost World.' Thora Burch is.
    I'm not saying Johannson was the best part of 'Ghost World,' just that it was a good movie, she was in it and she was pretty good in a supporting role.

4. Songbird

You're right. I always mix up Ricci and Burch. They sort of look alike. Good catch. Scarlett was all qualooded out in the movie. Too many roles like that for her. One of the reasons I liked her in the SNL is because she showed more of her personality.

She tried too hard in Scoop.

She's got moxie but doesn't always know how to tap into it the right way.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We've just got a difference of opinion, Xan.
    I haven't seen 'Scoop,' and I thought she was bad in 'Black Dahlia,' but I've thought Johannson was good in everything else I've seen her do.
    She was great in 'Girl With a Pearl Earring,' she was great in 'Lost in Translation' and she practically burned the screen up in 'Match Point.'

6. Songbird

I liked her in Lost in Translation because qualooded out was the motif. Haven't seen Black Dahlia and Girl with Pearl Earring, or Match Point. Does she show energy in any of those or talk without moving her mouth?

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Girl with a Pearl Earring' is good, but it's a very quiet, slow movie. Understandable for a movie about a painting.
    Skip 'Black Dahlia.'
    'Match Point' is very good, and she is on fire in it.

8. Songbird

i'll check'er out in match point. thanks.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Birch. Like the tree. Patriot Games really wasn't that good a movie.

10. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I saw "Lost In Translation" and she was not good in it. The role took adavantage of her stength (natural beauty) but I certainly didn't see anything about the acting that stood out.

11. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

I'm one of the few people in the world who did not particularly like Lost in Translation. I enjoyed Bill Murray and thought Scarlett showed potential. But it was one one of those films that, during first viewing, I will pause for three days before resuming it. Many of my friends who share similar taste believe it to be one of the better movies of the past decade. Different strokes, I guess.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

Lost In Translation is probably in my top five movies of all time. Loved it, almost unnaturally.

Marie Antoinette, I'm not so excited about, but I'll probably see it just because Sofia Coppola made it.

Draft saved Draft deleted