1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jonathan Vilma vs ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

So, ESPN is working on some kind of story about Vilma. A producer (Barry Abrams) is contacting former teammates for interviews and Vilma finds out. He goes ballistic on twitter.

Jonathan Vilma ‏@JonVilma51 -- Why is ESPN secretly conducting a character study on me?? they really think I wouldn't find out?!? Ill post the letter tomm

Then:

Jonathan Vilma ‏@JonVilma51 The hell with it, no ESPN its not a secret can't wait to see the show. With this -- he posts a picture of Abrams' email request to a former teammate. [​IMG]

Apparently, Abrams' phone and email were flooded, as Vilma has 100,000 followers. Now, I don't know the angle of the story, anything about what Abrams was doing. But, I've send a thousand such emails/notes in my career, looking for background.

Am I wrong in thinking he's a bully?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Vilma got in a Twitter fight with Peter King a few months ago. King was completely in the right -- he was noticing how many LBs the Saints were signing and guessing it didn't bode well for Vilma's hopes of avoiding suspension -- but Vilma had enough fanboi douches (including one who started a thread here) that he stirred up sympathy. Nothing like this, though.

You're right. Total bully.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

In his shoes, I'd be miffed and think ESPN should have contacted me first. It's not unjustified to feel that way. A national media organization is reaching out to get info on you and you're not aware; feels like an investigation.

His first move should have been to call his publicist/agent/someone who knows what the hell is going on, rather than, well, this or anything like this.

Or he could sack up and call the reporter/producer instead of going to Twitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted