1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jonathan Martin and the Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Nov 1, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

If he got his shit together he might make a decent motivational speaker, which the league would love.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The rage was there long before any possible CTE.

"Richie started his career on defense, as a nose tackle," said his father, Richie Incognito Sr. "So he'd always be lined up across from the center. Not one single time -- literally, not one time -- did the kid going up against Richie last beyond halftime. Not one time. Those kids were physically and mentally beaten. They would either get hurt or tap out.

"I'd always tell Richie, 'You don't take no s--- from anyone. If you let anyone give you s--- now, you're going to take s--- your entire life.' "

To understand Incognito, you must first understand his father. He is a sweet man, a kind and loving dad who literally cries with pride when he talks about his two sons. In a recent text message, Richie Sr. wrote that he'd "lay in front of a bus for one of my sons." At this year's Pro Bowl in Hawaii, AFC coach John Fox unofficially dubbed him "the father of the week."

Incognito with his mother, Donna, and his father, “Big” Richie Sr.
    He is also loyal and tough, a Vietnam veteran who put in a year as a combat infantry soldier, then spent the 1980s as a truck driver. When Richie Sr. felt like his son was getting overshadowed in youth league football because he wasn't one of the coaches' kids, the dad reminded Richie Jr. that he'd get his chance someday.

"I'd try to cheer him up," said Richie Sr., who is now a custom pool builder in Arizona. "I'd tell him, 'Payback is going to come, Richie. When it's time for you to have your payback, you open up the gates of hell and make them stare at the devil.'

"And when that day came, man, he made them stare at the devil."

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Martin traded to the 49ers for a conditional draft pick, per Schefter:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/443568608669892608

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Seems like a very smart move for all sides.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure Martin is ecstatic. As a 49ers fan, I was not happy to see that this morning, but if Harbaugh can get any kind of production out of him, it's a steal and it is a conditional pick.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I heard its only a 7th rounder in 2015; what's not to like? I'm sure the Niners are professionals who have no interest in following up on Incognito's nonsense. Martin was a possible 1st rounder when he came out and he can play a bit, on a rookie contract.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What makes you think the Niners are much different? Is it the way they look out for the best intersts of their players like Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A good point. OTOH, there is talk out here (and it could definitely all be self-serving) that Harbaugh has mandated a professional locker room since the beginning of his tenure. According to one former player, the 49ers have banned the N-word for years "because not all the players could say it to one another."

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/03/11/jim-harbaugh-might-have-been-the-only-coach-jonathan-martin-could-play-for/

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's a pretty big difference between having a player who can't stay out of trouble off the field and having someone like Incognito creating chaos in the locker room...

I think the only questions about Martin were if it was going to be the Colts or the Niners and if the Dolphins were going to have to release him. I'm sure they were thrilled they didn't have to cut him.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Assholes hazing rookies is still a thing.

Looks like 10 entrees, so I'm guessing this was just the offensive line.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm sure they're scarred for life.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted