1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jonathan Martin and the Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Jeff Darlington tweeted that Ingognito is getting mental help at a facility in Arizona.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Incognito will have a reality tv show as soon as his NFL career is officially over.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Called this a month ago. He is certainly mentally disturbed, but I don't know what's funny about it.
    This is the second act in the play.
    The next is a bear hug from the commissioner on his return.

4. Mizzougrad96

It also might be completely staged to make the commissioner feel sorry for him. I think it's a pretty big reach to think Incognito was turned into an asshole because of concussions, unless his concussion issues date back to before he got to Nebraska.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He has always had those leanings, but until he dies, there is no telling just how much CTE he has. However, I think most in the field of study would say "A lot. A whole lot." Not just because of his current behavior but because he has been an offensive lineman for 20 years.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

CTE can occur without ever having a diagnosed concussion. It's not the big hits that are causing the brain damage, it's all the little ones. Anyway, he's apparently been involuntarily committed into the psych ward:

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/richie-incognito-admitted-psych-hospital-arizona-report-article-1.1706402#ixzz2udvuKLd3

7. Mizzougrad96

I tend to think he's just an asshole and I doubt CTE has anything to do with it.

I don't doubt he has CTE, would it surprise anyone if any player who played in college and the NFL didn't have it on some level?

I've always tended to think linemen would be the safest on the field. They hit every play, but they don't typically get hammered the way backs and receivers do. Granted, that's coming from someone who got two concussions while playing O-line. Maybe it's the exact opposite.

8. LongTimeListener

Mizzou, the research seems to be showing that the bigger damage comes from the "sub-concussive" hits -- the thousand little dings you pick up along the way -- rather than the highlight-reel knockout. I think the prevailing wisdom now is that the guys in the trenches are the most at risk.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

He was kicked out of Oregon and Nebraska so the pattern of being an asshole started young.

10. LongTimeListener

Darlington, after the scoop about the mental health facility, re-linked a story he wrote about Incognito in 2012. The guy has had problems for a long long time. Very good story.

http://www.nfl.com/incognito

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Think he's going for the Klinger section 8

12. Mizzougrad96

That makes sense. Plus, the guys who just got hammered with a halmet-to-helmet get the attention they need while I'm sure there are plenty of linemen who just continue playing after they get their bells rung.

Draft saved Draft deleted