1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jonathan Martin and the Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Nov 1, 2013.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Good to see the Nebraska tradition of recruiting goons didn't leave when King Christian Tom Osborne retired.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Basically, this sounds like junior high bullshit. Martin is being picked on because he's a smart kid. Just pathetic. How do guys like Incognito look at themselves in the mirror?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What the fuck were the Dolphins thinking when they released their original statement, playing down all of this? Did they really think they could sweep it all under the rug?

(I guess they did, because apparently they tried to get his father's support for a joint statement, and Martin did say he didn't blame teammates.)

If there's a racial, or anti-gay nature to this, the team and league deserve every bit of criticism they get, and there needs to be real consequences.

As for the reporting, it really has sucked. What's the point of this line:

Martin has been away from the team since walking out of the facility following a prank played by his fellow offensive linemen last Monday in the cafeteria.

Now, I previously read that his teammates all got up and left when Martin sat down with them, but if I hadn't already read that, this means nothing to me, and would frustrate the hell out of me.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't see why the league should be culpable. Seems like Incognito was only suspended once the league stepped in.

5. YankeeFan

It's that, but it's also much more, and much worse.

Calling him "Big Weirdo", getting up when he sits down, and ostracizing him in general, is mean, and high school type stuff.

But, demanding money, physical threats, and racial and/or anti-gay comments (whether or not Martin is gay), take it to a whole other level. It borders on criminal, and is the definition of a hostile work place. If the Dolphins turned a blind eye to these kinds of things, they should pay, especially because they tried to cover it up, instead of dealing with it.

The Dolphins statement made it sound like Martin was an emotionally unstable guy, who's "health" they were concerned with.

Fuck them. Let a fucker like Ingognito threaten and harass someone in the Dolphins front office, and let's see how they handle it.

6. YankeeFan

I'd guess the League was consulted before the Dolphins put out their original statement. If they were, and allowed them to, then they're involved in attempting to cover this up.

If the Dolphins did it on their own, and things changed once the League got involved, then good for the League. (Though, they should have been all over this right away.)

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I agree. But that's also where junior high bullshit goes when the bullied person attempts to stand up for himself.

I'm not minimizing this by calling it junior high bullshit, to be clear.

8. YankeeFan

And, what the fuck does this mean:

Who's he intentionally walling into? Low level team employees, other players, reporters? It's "common"? And, if it's common, who knew about it, and why was nothing done to stop it?

Guy sounds like a major league asshole. If it's common for him to intentionally walk into people, then everyone knows about it, and no one did anything to put an end to it.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the part of the Dolphins' statement that clarified "this wasn't abuse - it was hazing!"

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And now Incognito's father has apparently been trashing Martin (and others) on a Dolphins fan board:

http://deadspin.com/is-richie-incognitos-dad-blasting-jonathan-martin-on-m-1457997230

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Well, now we know where he gets it from.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Beasley was on NFL Network this morning saying that "one of the major issues" in the Martin case was that he was stuck with some food tabs that were over $10K.

While I don't doubt that to be the case, (this is common among NFL teams, although they're not usually that high...) I know of one rookie who was stuck with a $6K tab and he wasn't too happy about it. It wouldn't be stunning if there was a team that took something too far...

I get the sense that the Dolphins are trying to get out of this by admitting to the lesser crime. The fact that they've reached out to the league for guidance on this issue suggests that something a lot bigger is going on here...

Draft saved Draft deleted