1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jonathan Martin and the Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If the sexuality rumors are true, I wonder if a coach as devoutly religious as Philbin might look the other way on this kind of thing...

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

That being said, this might the first time he's had to deal with something like this, even considering the fact that he might be in the closet. On previous teams, he'd be a star player. Otherwise, who's going to bully a 300-pound offensive tackle?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's the job of the coaching staff and the 'team leaders' to put the hammer on shit like this.

Without even knowing what the nature of the 'hazing and bullying' is, bottom line is people react differently to that shit -- some just shake it off, some take it as a big joke, some get pissed, some get fired up and play harder, some withdraw into shells, etc etc. Some quit.

But the REAL bottom line is that hazing and bullying is 99.8% of the time completely fucking stupid bullshit, and your job is to put together a winning team, and that includes every member of the team, even the withdrawn and 'sensitive' ones, and if somebody in your locker room is pulling fucking bullshit that interferes with those guys being able to perform, you need to come down on those fuckers with the hammer of hell and teach them what being bullied is really all about. Cut out the fucking hazing bullshit and play football.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If it's true, and you look at the team as his workplace and his coach his boss, then he might have a hell of a lawsuit ready to file.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And, bingo.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9913324/sources-nfl-eyes-miami-dolphins-richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-case

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Now that a huge deal has been made of this and a 300-pound guy is crying about being bullied, what chance does he ever have to return and be an accepted member of the team? He'd have done himself a lot better by cold-cocking Pouncey or Incognito.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe they get rid of Incognito, suspend him or do something else, realizing the "turned over a new leaf" trope is garbage and he is what he has always been. Pouncey is currently being asked to provide bank records and emails as part of a subpoena regarding his involvement in Aaron Hernandez's gun trafficking.

Those two may not be a problem in the Dolphins' locker room very much longer.

Meanwhile, there is this from the Miami Herald: Martin’s situation is one of several issues within the Dolphins locker room. Word filtered out this week that there has been growing resentment between other players regarding non-football issues.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who said he was crying?

Looks to me about as likely he said 'fuck this shit,' stormed out of camp and got on the phone to his agent/lawyer and said "let's fuck these fuckers over."

As far as what chance he has to come back and be "an accepted member of the team," that probably depends how beloved and revered Incognito and Pouncey are in the locker room.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that Incognito and Pouncey are assholes of the highest degree. But I'll also bet that when they're gone, he'll have problems with someone else. Why do I guess this? Because when things got so bad that he walked out on the team, no one on else on the team bothered to stand up and call out Incognito and Pouncey. 50 other guys sat back and let him walk out.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Or those 50 other guys didn't want to be the new whipping boy for assholes like Incognito and Pouncey? I haven't read up a ton about it, but I haven't heard much about Martin having problems dealing with people in other places he's been. Incognito has been a walking poster child for abortion in every place he's been, and Pouncey is busy with is "Free Hernandez" bullshit, and seems to be ready to take up a jail cell next to Hernandez at some point in the near future.

I could just as easily see the Dolphins cutting loose Incognito and Pouncey, and the atmosphere around that team improving by light-years just because they are gone.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I knew Pouncey was a tool, but what has Incognito done?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Incognito was suspended in 2004 at Nebraska for the proverbial "off field incidences" .Also labeled The NFL
    dirtiest player. But then there is this:

Good Guy Award

The Good Guy Award is given out in each NFL city to the player(s) who best helps the media do its job. In the 2012 season, Incognito was awarded this honor by the South Florida Chapter of the Pro Football Writers Association, alongside teammate Reggie Bush.

Draft saved Draft deleted