1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jon Stewart's depressing news riddle tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

What's black and white and totally over?

Newspapers.

Then he goes into a litany of news reports on papers up for sale and layoffs.

Depressing indeed.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He's been reading Journalism Topics Only, I see.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My joke was "what's black and white and read by nobody?"

Also a contender: "what's black and white and in the red?"

4. Flash

Flash Guest

The conversation he's having with Mike Huckabee is absolutely brilliant.

At what point did you choose not to be gay?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Great conversation with Huckabee, and I stress the word "conversation." I thought both handled it tremendously well. I disagree with a lot, if not most of Huckabee's positions, but I respect him quite a bit.

And while that conversation was fairly solemn (with the odd joke here or there), he's usually quite entertaining. But that was interesting to see. I liked seeing Stewart put down the cards shortly after beginning the segment about gay marriage and never pick them up again.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

One of the better debates on gay marriage that I've seen.

No Mexicans should be allowed to vote.
    You can't do that.
    Then why can you tell gays they can marry?

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I liked when Stewart hit him on why we shouldn't "change the definition of marriage."

"Semantics sound like cold comfort for someone who disagrees with gay marriage. You go back 5,000 years, that's to the Old Testament, when polygamy was allowed. In the 5,000 years since then, marriage has evolved a lot, from polygamy, to a property arrangement. Blacks and whites weren't allowed to marry at one point. The definition of marriage has changed many times," or words to that effect.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

And Huckabee countered with allowing the guy in Utah to legalize his unions with 27 wives.

I can't help but think that argument is a bit of stretch in 2008.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

And WTF was with Huckabee saying people were courteous about merging into the Holland Tunnel because they were uninsured and didn't want to wreck?

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Don't tell that to Scribe.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

That kinda what the headline was on Mike Littwin's column in the Rocky Mountain News today.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/09/littwin-black-white-and-red-ink-all-over/

Draft saved Draft deleted