1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jon Stewart vs. Bill O'Reilly

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bristol Whipped, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Watching the unedited version on the foxnews site, I thought Stewart came off better than I initially gave him credit for, including on the stuff I'd already seen.

Sometimes laughter was the only way to respond when O'Reilly tried to bait him, calling his writers pinheads, asking him if he feels bad about distorting the truth to make a liberal point, calling Glen Beck an 'everyman,' mocking Stewart for using big words and telling Stewart he was smarter than he'd expected.

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Of course she's not going to criticize Rush. She doesn't want to be called to Palm Beach and taken over Limbo's knee.

She is a joke.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

She is a joke that the NY Times has written 2 front pages stories about this week.

4. fishhack2009

That aside...how does some guy who makes $30-million plus a year realistically claim to be "everyman?"

I don't know who's more pathetic- Beck or the dopes who think he really gives a shit about them.

5. I'm glad that she was the keynote speaker at the same convention where Tom Tancredo called, to thunderous applause, for a return to Jim Crow-era voting literacy tests.

6. fishhack2009

They were just trying to play the gotcha liberal media game with her. :D

7. fishhack2009

Oh, the unintentional irony. Could Sarah Slime herself pass such a test?

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Stewart has said he has respect for Bill O. His appearances on the Daily Show are usually very entertaining, in a good way. Bill O. is a hothead, to be sure, but watching him on the Daily Show, you wonder how much of it is an act to satisfy Roger Ailes' red-meat requirements.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Nearly every speaker uses index cards or such to remind them of a topic or point to make. Palin wrote a note on her hand.

The Reader in Chief, however, is just that: a reader. Without a teleprompter he's a blooming idiot.

There's a huge difference between using a note and having to read every single word from a teleprompter.

Those who don't know the difference are just as much of an intellectual fraud as Obama.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Obama didn't have teleprompter in Baltimore when he made the GOP congressmen all look like fools.
    They were all obviously believing this "Obama is a dumbass without a teleprompter" line of thinking and then they got their asses handed to them when they tried to engage him.
    Or has the Rush/Beck/Savage radio crowd come up with a way to explain that?

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The issue with Palin is not that she brought notes with her to help her in her speech. That's to be expected.

The issue is one of professionalism. Instead of using index cards or paper or something adults would use, she wrote on her hand like she's an 11-year-old trying to remember a boy's phone number. (Except that with 11-year-olds having cell phones, they don't even need to do that anymore.) I hope she never refuses to shake a dignitary's hand because she's afraid that would smudge her greeting.

12. ebrown

ebrown New Member

Go get 'em Tony!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted