1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jon Stewart on the mainstream media

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dkphxf, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Thoughts on Jon Stewart's comments on the mainstream media?

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-news-sunday/index.html#/v/1007046245001/exclusive-jon-stewart-on-fox-news-sunday/?playlist_id=86913

2. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

He is willfully ignorant and part of the problem. But that's his thing...he takes foolish stances on things and then defends his positions with sarcasm. He goes after politicians on both sides, but this interview makes him look like an idiot in complete denial and unable to face the truth. Does Fox News have a conservative bias/agenda? Not really, but it does tend to report from the conservative angle. The networks look at things from the liberal angle.

However, NBC...owned by General Electric, is a proud cheerleader of this administration. But CBS, ABC and the others mentioned aren't agenda-driven...they are just liberal.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He's a comic.

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Jon Stewart is a comedian, an entertainer. Nothing less, nothing more. He'll make people laugh. And I enjoy seeing him go after the few politicians who dare to appear on his show; since he doesn't care about having access, he goes after the Rick Santorums and Eric Cantors and Barack Obamas in a way the rest of the news media, including Fox News, does not.

But Jon Stewart is not going to influence people politically. He and Stephen Colbert staged that big rally the week before the election last year, yet his core viewership - young adults - had horrible turnout on Election Day.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Stewart is a lot more than just a comic.

His show is one of the few that politicians do regularly. He is a known and admitted liberal, although he's been known to go after anyone who is in the news. I think he does a pretty good job at this.

Whether people like to admit it or not, and this is certainly not Stewart's fault, there are a lot of young people who get their news from TDS.

The guy is damn funny and I love the show, but dismissing him as just a comedian is foolish. He has a lot of influence, whether he wants to admit it or not. I don't think he likes that he has influence, but the fact of the matter is, he does...

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Fox absolutely has a conservative agenda, and I agree with Stewart that MSNBC is trying to copy that model but not very well. There is nothing else like Fox news out there in terms of political activism and agenda setting.

And, to me, nothing proves that more than having Jon Stewart on and basically grilling him not about his show and his comedy but about his criticism of Fox News. That turned into 24 minutes of Chris Wallace trying to prove Stewart wrong about his attitudes about Fox.

Fox does two things that really rub me the wrong way. They always have their guard up against criticism and people like Stewart and they always brag about how they're No. 1 in the ratings. They're always pumping themselves up, rather than just doing what they do -- something that has a definite audience.

The New York Times and CBS aren't running around defending themselves against Fox's attacks of them being the liberal media. They just continue to do what they do.

Finally, Wallace's example of CBS's liberal bias -- the Diane Sawyer lede about Arizona's immigration law -- what a terrible example of media bias. If that's the best they've got, they're really grasping at straws.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Let's all try to remember this the next time someone dismisses Rush Limbaugh as "just an entertainer."

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jon Stewart did say MSNBC is trying to be the liberal version of FNC.

Without the lies, of course.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Stewart is on Comedy Central. Limbaugh is on Apocalypse Central.

Answer:Context and perspective.
    Question: What are two things not found in Rush Limbaugh's kitchen.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

1. How is "bias" different than an "angle?" Please use dictionary definitions and not emotional reactions to the words.

2. NBC is now owned by Comcast.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A "known and admitted liberal." Isn't that illegal in 13 states?

12. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Thoughts on his critique as the MSM being "sensationalistic" and "lazy"? I was wondering what everyone thought of that, moreso than the political leanings of networks. (It's pretty obvious Fox has a conservative slant. Why else would it have Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee on its payroll?)

Draft saved Draft deleted