1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jon Lester has lymphoma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think that has been misunderstood here...the inspiration for the David Ortiz cracks was the inabiliy of a pair of ESPNews anchors to write a sensible, inoffensive lede about his illness. Then someone pointed out that ESPN finds any ol' reason to promote its stupid mobile phone and other products, even the death of or illness suffered by a sporting icon (see: Kirby Puckett's stats displayed on an ESPN Mobile phone moments after the plug was pulled in March). And yeah, it's morbidly funny to then mock a jackal like Skip Bayless, who takes the contrarian position no matter the topic.

I still feel bad that it led to jokes about Jon Lester, whose condition appears far, far more serious than that of Ortiz, and I apologize to Luggie and anyone else who is offended.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Unless anyone reading this board is actually Jon Lester, I can't see how they can be offended.

If any of you are actually Jon Lester, please know, Jon, that I was mocking ESPN and not you.

3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Zeke, I don't want to drag this out. Our feelings have been made here already. I just don't understand how you can't see that somebody could be offended by off-handed comments about cancer, tongue-in-cheek or not. Obviously, it offended Luggie, and it offended me. I lost a father to cancer and had a sister suffer through it and survive it.

Anyway, God bless everyone, and hopefully, you never have to face the cancerous situation of a loved one. Enough said on the subject.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Not that anyone has asked, but I want to make it clear I was not judging anyone when I posted. As the son of a man who died of cancer and a woman whose death certificate has the word "lymphoma" on it, I saw a thread saying someone has lymphoma, and I wanted to post my support to Lester and his family. I understand the source of the humor, and I wasn't condemning it.

I said the thread -- especially its subject line, I should have said -- hits close to home. The humor, I understand, derives from inappropriate tone in sportswriting, which has been well documented on other threads, and which to me feels more distasteful than the humor mocking it.

Not trying to stir anything up. That's just how I feel.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, that's kind of the point, casty. Most of us HAVE had to face it. I lost my dad to it. And I don't get offended by black humor surrounding the subject. Different strokes, sir.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Casty, can you be any more sanctimonius?

Seriously, if you tried, could you?

I have lost loved ones to cancer, not that it's any of your fucking business. I just don't choose your particular superstition that says if we never talk about it or make fun of it — or even make fun of anything surrounding it — it will never happen again.

If you were offended, you need to revisit how easily you are offended. And for the love of god, stop taking yourself so seriously. We're all going to die.

And that's coming from someone who almost always enjoys your perspective on here.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Zeke, you're certainly entitled to joke about it if you wish.

But do you really need to be such an asshole about?

You call Casty sanctimonious. And I say you're being a dickhead, rubbing people's noses in the fact that you can joke about it. Whoopee. You live in America. You have the right to joke about whatever suits your fancy. So give yourself a fucking medal.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I tried really hard to address that post, but since it's blessedly devoid of any point whatsoever, I'll simply say to Montezuma: Go Fuck Yourself.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Thank you for your witlessness, you worthless piece of shit.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You know what, you simple-minded shit head?

It would be one thing if you had tried to say anything even remotely on topic.

But since this is the extent of your wisdom:

You don't deserve any more than a go fuck yourself.

Who was trying to make a First Amendment argument? Who is rubbing anyone's nose in anything? I politely tried to explain the genesis of the jokes.

Did you even read the thread? Or did you just see a chance to pile on?

I repeat, go fuck yourself.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

I think anybody reading this thread can decide who the asshole is.

But go ahead, beat on your chest. Pretend like you're a badass. We're all impressed.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Then tell me, genius, why you decided to post here?

What did you add, exactly?

You wanted to pick a fight. You got it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.