1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jon Lester has lymphoma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

There comes a point when the "joy" derived from the mocking is as bad as what was being mocked in the first place.

We've long since crossed that line.

And to be honest, the mocking isn't even that funny anymore.

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I hate to get serious here but Jesus, let's have some compassion for young Lester, not to mention the Red Sox in general. Here I wanted to come on and make fun of the Red Sox's fall from the top, and maybe laugh a little at Chris and the Red Sox Nation members, but I can't do that. No one deserves the misfortune the Red Sox are enduring, and no one certainly deserves what Lester must now go through. I wish them all well and, again, I apologize for getting so serious but this is truly horrible news for anyone.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This is some scary crap, no matter what type of cancer it is.

Hopefully he'll be OK.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It strikes me, and has always struck me, that if I'm Jon Lester, I wouldn't WANT people wringing their hands and putting out the "no-jokes-allowed" sign.

That would be an indication to me that my situation is grave. And he should be thinking that he's going to get better, which he will.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This thread hits close to home. My mother died two months ago from complications associated with her fourth lymphoma-related biopsy. I wish Lester and his family wellness.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

And the people on this board are quality human beings.

The jocularity is a way to cope with such news, nothing else.

And, I know that if there was a chance Jon Lester read this board and was going to be hurt by the comments.... we wouldn't do it.

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

And I'm not trying to get all moral on anybody here, either. I just don't see the humor in a 22 year-old kid who is in for the fight of his life. Those of you who do -- have at it.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As with anything else, the humor isn't in cancer, it's in other people's reactions to it.

But I don't get sanctimony, so we're even.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

2 in 3 men will get cancer in their lives.

1 in 3 women will.

You or someone you know will get it.

There are people all over this board who have dealt with it or are dealing with it.

Maybe you're not hurting Lester himself, but you're probably hurting someone.

Sorry - I'm calling it like I see it.

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, that's obviously the way you see it, from what you said before. Zeke and I are just saying that going around with your head bowed is not everyone's way of dealing with it.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't apologize for joking about John Lester's illness in relation to espnnews.. I understand others' positions, but everybody treats this message board differently.

I don't get offended by what others write here, regardless the subject. I can understand how others do. I just don't. To each his/her own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.