1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jon and Kate (of Jon and Kate plus 8)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Aug 6, 2008.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I don't know how I stumbled onto it, but I watched a little of this shit.

Kate is so freaking miserable. When they're doing the sit downs with the producers, Jon has to tell her constantly, "Let me finish." I couldn't do it. Not at all.

The good things this show brings: Reaffirms my thought that I have a great, great wife and that our decision not to have children was a solid one.

2. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

Oh, it's great. And it seems to be the same in every market I've seen. One time they had a graphic that said "Murder victim" and the box above it was probably supposed to have a chalk outline or something inside it. Nope. It was a boxed border that fit perfectly around the face of the anchor who wasn't talking.
    The other night, they had a somewhat professional-looking broadcast and my wife and I stopped watching after 5-10 minutes and both were like "Aw, man, they went and ruined it!"
    It's like they should use the old line: "When news breaks, we fix it."

Now maybe if they'd put Kate as a local Fox news anchor, we'd have something worth watching...

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I watched this show for about 10 minutes. They were taking the twin daughters to some kind of talent agent to get them commercial work. It was disgusting to watch Kate pimp out her kids like that. She's like a terrible Stepford-Clomid experiment gone wrong.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The problem is, Kate is such a neat/control freak and is the dominant personality, while Jon prefers to sit by and let her handle everything. He knows if he gets involved, Kate will just rearrange everything he's done. It's a weird situation but I don't think divorce will be in the picture in the near future as much as separate bedrooms.

5. Zsaji

Zsaji New Member

Kate's definitely a Type-A personality. My favorite moment was at DisneyWorld. The kids had ice cream and she flips out about how they're going to get sticky and TAKES the ice cream away from them! Umm, yeah, you're really going to be able to spoon-feed all six screaming toddlers.

I watch because it's a trainwreck and to support my hapa peeps.

6. Boognish

Boognish Member

Mrs. Boog loves it. Cute kids. I keep checking the background looking for Jon's junk in a mason jar. Stay strong, brother.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yeah, she's so freaked out she doesn't even show them much attention. She just constantly monitors and wigs out.

However, in her defense, if I had eight kids, and six that were three years old, I'd be a complete freak too.

But yeah, could not handle someone like her. Poor Jon, he probably wishes the fertility drugs never took.

But I do love the show. We watch it all the time and are glad we have just the one right now. The one little girl, Mady, is a complete bitch though. I don't care if she's 7. She's going to make some man miserable one day.

Also, if I had eight kids, I'd take everything free I could get. Jon may make good money, and I'm sure they're getting paid decently for that show, but eight kids cost a lot of freaking money.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

It's interesting to watch the early shows, when the cameras were new. It was very obvious that money was a huge issue, and they were struggling. The show had a real honesty to it then, and the kids were so gosh darn cute.
    The kids are still cute ("Daddies have wieennerrs"), but they are very obviously receiving some serious cash from the show and have sponsors lining up to have their own episode. I think Jon took a job with a family friend, too, where his pay was increased and his hours lessened. And go to their website - they are doing speeches across the country. I wonder if the 8 kids are coming along and, if not, who is taking care of them?

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Thank you. I've now stumbled on why a friend of mine loves this show and thinks Kate is great: my friend is this exact same way!

10. Mrs. Guy and I love the show. I'm not totally into the Kate-bashing. Jon certainly isn't going to be the bad cop, and somebody has to be.

The thing that's always struck me about Kate is, she had fertility tests done after they first got married in their early 20s. The docs said there was a "chance" of her having trouble having kids. What's the rush? What's the panic? She apparently was a nurse before I believe, but it seems to me she had a bad case of "the mommy" syndrome and wanted something besides John to lord over.

That being said. I love the kids, particularly Maddie, the drama queen of the twin girls.

And Jon just kind of cracks me up. I thought the hair plugs on Jon were a bit much, though I'll give Kate a pass on the tummy tuck, even if it was free.

The best birth control spot ever? In the intro when she flips her belly out with the 8 kids. She looks like something out of "The Hunt for Red October."

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

My wife loves it and I watch with her once in awhile. We have two boys, and it offers me affirmation that we're doing a pretty damn good job with our kids, and that no matter how bad our "little terrors" may seem to be at times, it certainly could be much worse. :)

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Her belly looked like somebody pulled the skin off Jaba the Hutt. I totally don't fault her for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted