1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joker in next Batman film

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Jul 23, 2006.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It was funny to read the speculation on what playing The Joker could do for Ledger's career after Brokeback Mountain.

Of course, if he hadn't died, I don't know if the hype machine would have been turned on quite as much for his performance. That's not to say he didn't do a great job. He most certainly did. If he were still alive, I don't know if he would have gotten nearly as much attention.

I would think out of ongoing respect for Ledger, the people who write the Batman scripts would stay away from The Joker. But then again, a bunch of people on this thread thought Ledger would be a disaster as The Joker. What do I know since I rarely watch movies?

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

There is a phenomenal Batman graphic novel -- of course, I don't remember the name of it because my buddy took it with him on a cruise -- that was supposed to be the next movie, also with Ledger as The Joker.

They knew how good he was and had already began writing a sequel. His death obviously ruined that, but the next script was so good they didn't want to waste it. It is a terrific story, with almost no Batman in the entire book. Joker gets out of prison and goes after Two-Face, who has consolidated power in his absence.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I'd rather see Scarlett Johannson as Catwoman instead of Jolie.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My guess is they'll give the Joker a rest of one movie -- concentrate on a couple other villains, and only refer to the Joker in passing in the upcoming movie (which logically they should be starting on production fairly soon, if they're shooting for a release date of summer 2011).

With Rachel Dawes killed off, there is a romantic void in Bruce/Batman's life, leaving an obvious opening for Catwoman.

Then, in the NEXT installment, we'll see a new Joker, probably with a backstory (kind of tying into the traditional origin story of the Joker in the comics) that he was horribly scarred/mutilated/chemically burned/vocal cords damaged in the process of escaping from Arkham Asylum, explaining why he looks and sounds somewhat different from the Ledger Joker. (Although I think they'll keep some of the mannerisms, the lip-smacking, etc., to show it's the same guy.)

The new Joker, I would guess, will have the permanently-dyed green hair, white skin, red lips, instead of the greasepaint Ledger wore.

I have a hunch that the Johnny Depp-as-the-Riddler rumors may be a smokescreen, and they have something else entirely planned for Depp, in about 5 years or so.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

This is what IMDB has for Depp in development
    1. Caliber (details only on IMDbPro)
    2. Affected Provincial's Companion (details only on IMDbPro)
    3. Inamorata (details only on IMDbPro)
    4. Rex Mundi (details only on IMDbPro)
    5. The People's Act of Love (details only on IMDbPro)
    6. The Lone Ranger (details only on IMDbPro)
    7. In the Hand of Dante (details only on IMDbPro)
    8. Pirates of the Caribbean 4 (details only on IMDbPro)
    9. The Incredible Mr. Limpet (details only on IMDbPro)
    10. Happy Days (details only on IMDbPro)
    11. Shantaram (details only on IMDbPro)
    12. Untitled Johnny Depp/Alexander Litvinenko Project (details only on IMDbPro)
    13. A Long Way Down (details only on IMDbPro)
    14. Dark Shadows (details only on IMDbPro)
    15. Dali (details only on IMDbPro)

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The first Joker-related graphic novel that comes to mind is The Killing Joke, but that's a different plot. Also wouldn't work with no Batgirl in the movies.

Personally, I'd love to see No Man's Land some day. The Joker has a very small part in that story, but that characterization is the one I think of as the best version of the character.

7. Starman

I think about 13 of those would be knocked off the boards in seconds if the Nolans offered Depp the role of the Joker.

Do we really need to see Johnny Depp playing Arthur Fonzarelli, anyway??

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't really see her doing Batman and Iron Man.

9. Mizzougrad96

I don't really see Depp playing the Riddler either... The franchise doesn't need the star power and I don't really see Depp agreeing to do it. I don't think Jolie would be Catwoman either...

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

She would make an amazing Catwoman, but I also think she'd be a massive distraction given her level of stardom. The best villains tend to not be one of the most famous woman in the world.

11. Mizzougrad96

Catwoman always seems to be a pretty likable villain. If that's the direction they go, they'll need another "villain" to be the truly evil one.

12. Starman

Two of the best fits for Catwoman -- Jolie and Kate Beckinsale -- have kind of painted themselves into a corner in terms of playing the role, by already playing massively popular comic heroines who are both pretty strongly reminiscent of Catwoman to begin with. Although the producers might just say "the hell with it" and go with them anyway. You could probably throw Jennifer Garner in this category, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted