1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joker in next Batman film

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Joker again? This town needs an enema.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I think he'd be better suited to play the Riddler, given his crazy delivery, his hyperactivity and all the question marks on his outfit.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

The thing is...the Joker isn't funny. He's a failed comedian who became dangerous and crazy. Heath Ledger is a fine actor, but I think he's a little too musclebound for the role. To me, the Joker needs to be a skinny, skinny guy...like Adrien Brody. Of course, considering how well they did with "Batman Begins", I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt. And they did go for a good actor who wasn't the obvious choice.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mark Hamill would be a good choice... especially since he does the voice over for the cartoons....

James Earl Jones?????

5. I'm very intrigued by this choice. Very intrigued ...
    As others have said, Begins was so good for me, I'm willing to give these folks the benefit of the doubt at least until opening credits roll.

6. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

If he could lose the accent, John Leguizamo wouldn't be bad.

Any consideration for Nic Cage?

And this wouldn't happen either, but Kevin Spacey could pull it off in my opinion.

And again, another long shot, but Al Pacino seems like he has the screaming psycho thing down.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ledger might not be the "obvious choice," but it does strike me as picking the hot hollywood hunk of the moment. I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain, but I've never been impressed with any of his other roles (10 Things, The Patriot, A Knight's Tale, The Order). As someone else mentioned, he's a bit too muscular for the role. I also think he's too young and probably too good looking. Are they going to go for a more "real" looking Joker and not have his face be disfigured? I'm highly doubtful of this choice.

Adrien Brody would have been an inspired choice for looks, though he seems like such a quiet actor I'm not sure he could play the criminally insane. I definitely think Michael Keaton would have been a fantastic choice, but it seems like they want to distance this series from the previous movies as much as possible. David O'Hara, the guy who played Stephen, the Irishman, in Braveheart could pull it off.

[​IMG]

For that matter, Mel Gibson plays a good crazy, though I think his name and presence might overshadow Christian Bale, which I think is something Nolan wants to avoid.

8. As I was listening to a piece from the Batman score on my iPod during my night-jog, this thread popped into the back of my mind.

I just thought it would make for an interesting bump.

(Apologies in advance to any who opened the thread expecting to see a discussion on who might follow ledger in Batman 3.)

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

FWIW, I thought this was a discussion of Joker being confirmed for the next flick so when people said they thought Ledger was getting it, I was like "Wait, what?"

Fun to read through all these folks' opinions about whether Heath would be good or not. I remember liking the selection and looking forward to it (Loved him in 10 things) and getting trashed because the internet was extremely against the move.

Of course, then the trailer came out and people around the web started whacking off to it so, i guess you never know.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

According to a friend of mine who is way into the graphic novels (I'm not at all) the obvious direction for the third film would involve the Joker. I say there's no way in hell this happens and regardless of how the graphic novels play it, they just need to go with the Riddler (Johnny Depp rumored) or Penguin (Philip Seymour Hoffman rumored) or Catwoman (Jolie rumored) but I think going back to the Joker would be a disaster.

Then again, myself and a few others on this board thought going back to The Joker after Nicholson was a mistake... Shows what we know... :)

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I saw Batman last night and Caesar Romero was funny as shit. So was Frank Gorshin as the Riddler. Damn, I remember watching that movie when it first came out and was as excited then as I was last night.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I agree it would be awkward. But I could definitely see how the Joker might fit into the next movie's storyline. It's a risk to top Ledger, of course, but, then again, no one figured he'd do half as well to begin with.

Draft saved Draft deleted