1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joker in next Batman film

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Not sure if there was a thread already going on this, I didn't see one. If there is then feel free to move this there.

According to DarkHorizons.com (a very reliable movie news site) Heath Ledger has been offered the role of the Joker.

If it's true I feel they could've done much better (Mark Hamill, Crispin Glover, even Paul Bettany).

Thoughts?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Crispin Glover's too damn weird to get work in a big-budget summer blockbuster. The studio would rightfully worry he'd show up to a press junket and completely flake out.

Mark Hamill would be interesting. That would complete one of the most unique career arcs in history...from nowhere to the biggest trilogy in history to straight-to-video movies back to a blockbuster.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Where's Caesar Romero? Jack did a hell of a job too.

4. Tommy_Dreamer

Loved the Nicholson Batman in the 80s flick, but I want a more hard-lined character. Just don't think Ledger can do that.

5. Mutah

Mutah Member

"I can't quit you, Batman." ;D

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, Heath Ledger is going to be dogged by the image of him "stemming the rose" for the rest of his career.

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Just like Jake was at the ESPYs.

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Heath Ledger is an extremely talented actor and I think he'd surprise a lot of people with a turn as The Joker. Bettany and Williams would be too over the top, but I think someone like Ledger would put behind the performance just the right amount hurt and anger that any villian has. Plus, it'd be a great resume builder for him; his performance in Brokeback Mountain was one of understated grace. And to then transition right into the maniacal Joker, well ... that could skyrocket his star.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought Paul Bettany would be perfect... Cillian Murphy would have also been perfect, but I don't think playing villains in back-to-back Batmans would go over too well...

I thought at one point Robin Williams was going to do it and play the Joker as dark as he could...

I'm sure Ledger will be fine...

10. sportsed

sportsed Guest

No one but Matthew Lesko should get this role.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I don't like the pick, but I'm going to give the casting choice the benefit of the doubt.

Also, I don't think Ledger is going to have to carry the film like Nicholson did as the only villain. The Scarecrow is still running loose, and I doubt we've seen the last of Ra's al Ghul.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

About Robin Williams playing the joker: I just get visions of Jim Carey's over the top BS in playing the Riddler in Batman 3 (can't remember which one it was.)

Although I know it's two different characters and Williams is a much better actor than Carey, I just can't see him doing it.

Then again, I've been wrong before.

Draft saved Draft deleted