1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joining in on postgame prayers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Nov 12, 2007.

1. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Actually, I thought about running a pattern when I was covering a game and the quarterback threw the ball right to me although I was five yards behind the sideline.

So I did the next best thing. Ran the hell out of the way, forgot about the slight incline and fell on my face.

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Dear god...not the F word?!?

Jesus Fucking Christ in a shitstorm, what is this goddamn planet coming to?

Seriously scribe, welcome to real life. If you don't like it, go cover homeschools. And you're right, we do need more respect. Namely, we need less people like you trying to cram Jesus down the throats of innocent folks like me. I'm glad you're all high on Christ and whatnot, but that tired "the world has gone to hell without prayer in schools" is the worst kind of uneducated, bumper-sticker based, back-of-the-Waffle House cultural argument that you can find today.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I feel your pain.
    I ran like a baby once when it looked like I might get run over by some players and tripped and fell. Good times.
    Of course, I'd rather trip and fall then get my leg snapped in half like a photographer did at our paper.

4. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

The garbage would have been there whether prayer was taken out of public school or not.

5. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Shhhhh...

It's so much easier to live in the opaque bubble of "how things used to be" rather than recognize social ills for the complex and multifaceted problems that they are.

6. scribe21

scribe21 Member

You are entitled to what you want to believe. And Kaylee, no, I am not a minister or trying to preach here. So, I guess a high school kid using the F word is appropiate at a sporting event? NOT in my book. Even a referee at the same game took note of the language, so there you go. The F word has NO place at sporting events, period. Zummo, can you tell me a major shooting incident at a high school before prayer was forbidden in schools? I challenge you to find them and post them here. It's not all the school's fault, though. It starts at home, but if it's not at home, where do these kids turn for positive influence? Just my opinion.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So now you're blaming a lack of Jeebus for school shootings? News flash: Men have killed, raped and pillaged for 800 years or longer, all while shrouded in holy crosses and fully believing they had Jeebus' consent.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

When was prayer "taken out" of public schools? Give me a year.
    Was it before or after the bombings at the schoolhouse in Bath, Mich., in 1927?
    Please be prepared to show your work. You will be tested on this material.
    Use a No. 2 pencil only.

9. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

You're not trying to preach? Yammering on with some unsupportable rabble about how there were no school shootings back when we all prayed to Jeh-sus sounds like a sermon to me. Mainly because it lacks the facts and support structure to qualify for intellectual discourse.

And if kids dropping "fuck" offends you, then I recommend you hie off to the wilds of Norway and build yourself an igloo upon some solitary ice drift. Kids have been using profanity for time immemorial, even (believe it or not) during whatever Norman Rockwell heyday you seem to have playing in your noggin.

I love you folks who believe the only way to "save" the youth of America is to outfit them with a Bible. Because, for you people, human beings can never be good enough as they are. Only when they start to think how you wish them to think, worship how you wish them to worship and - most importantly - exclude whom you exclude do they earn the right for you to declare them safe from moral harm.

How fucking uneducated yet pretentious.

And how, I wonder, can America's young people be going down the toilet when just about every town I've ever lived in has big, opulent churches on every corner yet maybe only one or two underfunded youth centers?

Could kids possibly be losing their minds at an alarming rate because people like yourself continue to try to wedge your beliefs into everyone's lives, thus leaving every insecure and confused kid scared of what some book of old Jewish folklore has to say about them?

Know what would help our kids? Love. And, no, love does not come from Jesus. Love came well before Jesus, and it will be around long after Jesus is finally dead. Love doesn't judge people because they say "fuck" at a sports event, love doesn't judge people just because they don't believe in a god and love sure as fuck could care less whether or not someone says a prayer after some stupid prep football game.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm just pissed that my perfectly good Jeebus Loves Me joke got buried.

That's A material, cats and kittens.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My bad. I think I misunderstood your first post. Thought you were criticizing and, since everyone else was getting up in arms, I followed the crowd. May God have mercy on my soul -- as long as it's not at midfield after a football game :D

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Brilliant Kaylee, fucking brilliant.

Draft saved Draft deleted