1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joining in on postgame prayers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Pray you don't have to cover crappy HS football anymore?

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

My best buddy was in a bad car accident in high school, and I had serious God issues for a while (still struggle sometimes), and I got in serious shit for challenging my coach as to why I had to pray with the team and go to mass with them every game day. To this day, I still wonder why I got so much more recruiting interest as an AAU player than as a high school player, and I honestly believe he either didn't tell schools about me or told them I was a shithead.

Of course, I went to Catholic schools, so it's slightly more understandable, but I bet similar shit goes on at public schools.

That said, I never mind when I see players praying after a game, as long as it doesn't seem forced. I don't join, but I'll remove my hat and be silent out of respect. If I want people to respect my views, I believe I should try to respect theirs, too.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't think it's your place to get in on a team's postgame huddle ever. You're not part of the team. You're not part of their prayer, no matter what you believe. If you want to join in, do it by yourself away from the scrum.

At least that's my take. And I'm not religious at all, so maybe I'm missing something.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

It's no difference than saying if you don't like what's on TV, change the channel.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Now THAT's a bingo.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yes it is. You can actually change the channel and not see the program and there will be no repercussions. There's no off button on what your coaches and teammates -- and whomever they tell -- will say to you about your not taking part in the team prayers.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not a very good analogy.

Unless you're Reggie Jackson, you can't just isolate yourself from the team when the coach calls everybody together.

If opting out of the team prayer is more important to you than being a part of the team, then maybe you do. I don't know many 17-year-olds with that kind of conviction. I know I didn't.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've witness more than one coach lead his team in the Lord's Prayer here in Texas. I'm Christian, but it still seems strange to me.

The topic of this thread, though, has never crossed my mind. I just stand there and tap my foot and wish they would hurry up so I could get my interviews done.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Exactly. If you're so close that somebody's going to grab your hand and compel you to be involved in their postgame prayer, you need to back up a few steps and get out of the damn way. When they break the circle, then move in and get your interviews.

10. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Do you ever wander too close to the sideline during the game and kinda, sorta, maybe feel like you should run a deep slant pattern? Or take a handoff? :p

11. Faithless

Faithless Member

I've witnessed coaches and players - mostly girls softball teams from small, rural Bible Belt schools - shout the Lord's Prayer during their prayer huddles, turning it into a loud public display. I know these teenage girls are proud of their faith, but it's downright annoying when they're screaming it out. It's what I call "in-your-face religion." I wonder if those kids pray that loud when they're in church Sunday morning or during the Sunday and Wednesday evening services?

Saying a prayer after a game doesn't bother me, but screaming out your prayer as if to say, "look at me, look at me ... I'm praying" does.

12. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

Agreed. I think it's just not my place to participate in team prayers. It's also a possible conflict of interest. If I do it with one team, even by accident, then I have to do it for all. Or else my objectivity is in question.

Draft saved Draft deleted